Alembic import as geometry cache crash on reboot

When i import a character animation from marvelous designer to unreal as geometry cache and then restart the editor and try to use it, it crash :

Also there is only one material detected.

log of the crash :

Assertion failed: InPos >= 0 [File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\FileManagerGeneric.cpp] [Line: 618]
Attempted to seek to a negative location (-184387354/4110580011), file: …/…/…/…/…/…/Users/aquay/Desktop/MTM/Content/PCONLY/Mesh/abc/abc2/andre_15_abc.uasset. The file is most likely corrupt.

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:332]
UE4Editor_Core!FArchiveFileReaderGeneric::Seek() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\hal\filemanagergeneric.cpp:619]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!FLinkerLoad::Preload() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\linkerload.cpp:3348]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!EndLoad() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1556]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!LoadPackageInternalInner() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1281]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!LoadPackage() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1437]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!ResolveName() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:722]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObjectInternal() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:809]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObject() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:869]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FAssetData::GetAsset() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\assetregistry\public\assetdata.h:223]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FAssetDragDropOp::Init() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\draganddrop\assetdragdropop.cpp:149]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FAssetDragDropOp::New() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\draganddrop\assetdragdropop.cpp:26]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SAssetView::OnDraggingAssetItem() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\sassetview.cpp:3691]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TMemberFunctionCaller::operator()() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstanceinterface.h:161]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TTupleImpl >::ApplyAfter,FGeometry const & __ptr64,FPointerEvent const &() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\tuple.h:116]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SAssetView,0,FReply __cdecl(FGeometry const & __ptr64,FPointerEvent const & __ptr64)>::Execute() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl.h:318]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseDelegate::Execute() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl.inl:522]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!STableRow >::OnDragDetected() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\public\widgets\views\stablerow.h:564]
UE4Editor_Slate!::operator()() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5122]
UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route >() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:215]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerMoveEvent() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5120]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseMoveEvent() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5653]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseMove() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5592]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1693]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:2071]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:814]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:678]
user32
user32
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:951]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2811]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:152]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]
kernel32
ntdll

Hello, I am facing the same issue of UE crashing while rebooting when using an alembic geometry cache in the level.
I get the same error saying that ‘The file is most likely corrupt’
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

@Adrien @

Do either of you have a test asset that can reliably reproduce this issue that you can provide? If so I can test on my end and report if I’m seeing the same crash.

I didn’t find anything in our system that would indicate this issue was reported already.

Thanks!

Tim

@Tim Hobson
Thanks for replying, for the time being I was able to get the file in question, which contains about 30 tracks into 3 smaller cache files with 10 tracks each…this way UE loads them up correctly on reboot. Would have been great if we could have the larger file working correctly.
I can send you the file only by Tuesday since i am travelling at the moment.

Thanks again !

@Tim Hobson

Very sorry for the dealy…,Here is a link to the file I was talking about. I’ve been using UE version 4.14.0.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4cNiwzMjRSsNlhLb3R0LUJycHc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

Hi ,

Thanks for posting back! I was able to get the crash and submitted a ticket here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-39946)

Hopefully, we can get this resolved soon!

Tim

@Tim Hobson
Thank you so much!