"Shader complexity" view mode - difference between static mesh and folliage painted mesh

Hi!

If you observe same model (Tree), placed as static mesh, and painted as foliage, there is a great difference between them in “Shader complexity” view mode. Tree painted as foliage seem to have much worse shader complexity (overdraw) than tree placed as static mesh. I assume it’s a bug in representation.

Thank You!

Hello ,

I have tried with a few different default SpeedTree assets in a new blank 4.13.1 project, but was unable to reproduce the issue on my end. The odd thing is, I can see it in my test bed that I used to test various issues. I even tried upgrading a project, to see if that is how the issue gets introduce and still have no success.

Would you also mind attempting to reproduce the issue in a new blank project? If you are able to reproduce the issue, provide me with some steps and perhaps the asset in questions so I can test it on my end.

Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Cheers,

Hello ,

I have tried to reproduce this issue in new blank project and failed. In my project, I didn’t notice FPS drop, so I assume it’s only representation error. If you take a closer look, you will see that foliage painted mesh material look like it’s fully transparent. I will let you know If I find a way to reproduce this issue, Thank You!

Cheers,

Yeah, the really odd thing is that this should be something that is easily reproducible in a new 4.13.1 blank project. I was confused because I could also see it in my test bed, but unable to reproduce the issue on my end.

It could have something to do with upgrading a project from a previous version, as there have been some known issues with that. I would test out upgrading a 4.12.5 project with painted foliage and placed meshes to see if that reproduces the bug.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Hello

I think I found a source of a problem.
In project settings/rendering/lightning/“DBuffer Decals” is turned ON becouse we use it in our project.
If you turn it off and reboot editor, “shader complexity” works normaly (same as static mesh).
I allso tryed this config. but didn’t make any difference.

config/DefaultEngine.ini
r.DBuffer=True
r.EarlyZPass=3
r.EarlyZPassMovable=false

I didn’t notice any FPS difference when option is turned on and off, so it must be only representation error, witch make the “Shader complexity” view mode useless. :frowning:

Cheers.

Hey again ,

Thanks for the clear and precise repro steps. I was able to confirm what you are reporting and have gone ahead and entered a bug report for the issue. You can track the issue following the link below on our public issues tracker.

UE-37542

Once the issue has been addressed by our engineers either myself or another staff member will return with an update.

Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Cheers,