Xbox 1 Controller fails to connect while game is running (Windows 64)

My game is set to work on Windows 10 64-bit with an XB1 controller, and it works fine as long as I start with the XB1 controller connected and do NOT remove it during play.

But if for any reason I connect an XB1 controller while the game is running it will refuse to connect; instead the controller’s HOME button light will turn on an off at a steady pace, but it will never fully connect. When I run into this issue, the only ways I have found to get my controller to connect is to do one of the following:

1. shut down the game
  2. If I am debugging in Visual Studio, do a debug break anywhere in the code

Both of these actions will cause the controller to connect within about 1 second which leads me to believe that something the game engine does every frame is keeping the controller from fully connecting, and that solving this issue is as simple as suspending that action.

So I’m wondering:

1. is this a known bug with a fix planned?
  2. is there a work around that will allow me to force a controller re-connect while my game is running? Preferably one that doesn’t require force suspending threads willy nilly.

Hey hvs_chrisgdaniel-

This issue seems to affect Windows10 machines specifically (controller could be unplogged/reconnected without issue on Windows 7). I have entered a bug report (UE-30358) for further investigation.

Cheers