Bug when Compiling C++ from TutorialCode

I’m using 4.11.2 and VS 2015 Enterprise. I followed the video tutorial for programming in UE.
Right after the template source codes and folders are created in VS, I compiled them and tried to run them in DebugGameEditor configuration with Win64 platform. There was no modification to them.

After waiting a few minutes, the VS showed a debugger layout and also this error:

88878-error.jpg

I clicked yes, and then another popup shows that I must compile manually.

88902-error4.jpg

Oddly, that’s what I did from the beginning. So what went wrong in this case?
It’s the template generated by UE when creating a new C++ project.

Please help.

Did your build from VS succeed ?

I don’t know if this info is relevant, but maybe it would help. While using UE and VS, I logged into my as a standard user and does not have administrative privileges. I assume that UE does not require it to access or utilize specific DLLs, right?

Hey Pelangi-

Are you referring to the Battery Collector tutorial? Also, if you are compiling the project for the first time, please make sure to compile in Development Editor first, then you should be able to build in other configuration settings.

Cheers

If I build it manually using right click on the Solution node, then it showed no error. The output widget showed the build was successful. This error came out when I “start new instance” in “debug”.

Yes I was referring to that video which UE post in Youtube. I notice it’s using previous UE version, due to the differences in UI. But from the functionality aspect, I thought it wasn’t that different.

Is it mandatory to always compile in Development Editor first for every new C++ project?

I tried to redo the whole step in the video by using Administrator account in my and it worked perfectly. But I don’t understand why every time I run in debug mode, VS always launched a new instance of UE editor. If I stopped the debug mode, VS shutdown the UE editor. Is this an expected behavior?

To run UE in debug mode, I always have to use administrator account?

It is required to build in one of the “Editor” configurations first in order for the project to be able to open in the editor. Development Editor is typically the default selection for this.

The behavior you mentioned of starting a new debug instance creating a new editor instance is expected. If you already have the editor open and simply want to have your VS changes reflected in the project you can right click the project name in VS and select Build or click the Compile button inside the editor. This will preform a hot reload and update the project with the changes made in the code.