[bug report] Console command 'fullscreen' no toggling in 4.11.1

My “Video Quick Settings” widget has a button to toggle between full-screen and windowed operation of the game. Up until 4.11.1 this worked just fine, but since the update to 4.11.1, it no longer works. (EDIT: The button itself works fine, I get the audio sound when clicked, but the screen doesn’t toggle to full screen anymore–in fact, the game would normally START in full screen automatically, but it doesn’t do any sort of full screen anymore.)

The button simply calls the console command “fullscreen” through the BP node “Execute Console Command”.

The other settings are set using the “Game User Settings” nodes, most specifically “Set Overall Scalability Level” and “Set Post Processing Quality” and “Set VSync Enabled”.

As I stated before, this had worked perfectly up until 4.11.1, but it no longer works since doing the update.

I found out what is going on. My is plugged in and preventing my game from going to full screen. Even with the oculus turned off, the engine still is apparently detecting it, and wanting to configure itself to send the game over to the rift (as it’s using the same sized window that most rift-enabled games/programs use.) I have to completely unplug all of the rift plugs for my game to go full screen.

I cannot mark this as "answered’ and must still leave it as a “Bug Report” because I DO find this to be a very serious bug. My game is not designed for VR, but, at the same time, it should be able to run full screen normally regardless of whether my users have VR hardware plugged in or not. I don’t presently know of anywhere to explicitly disable VR support.

I know you said it used to work and it doesn’t anymore, but to double check,

are you sure you’re not using Play in new editor window (PIE) ?

(in which case Fullscreen toggle wouldn’t work)

Read my comment to the post. Discovered it’s because there’s oculus hardware plugged into my machine right now. The only way I can get it to go full screen is if I completely unplug all the oculus gear. And no, this is from a standalone and also a packaged (shipping) build.

My bad. Hope it gets resolved.

No prob. :slight_smile: And my other job is IT Field Support Engineer, so I know about having to ask what would seem to be “obvious” questions! LOL! (Once drove three hours to arrive on a location that was experiencing a wireless outage only to have to turn a power strip on.) Thank you for taking the time to help, though.

Hello ,

I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of step to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that may be involved with this issue?

It was very easy for me to reproduce.

1. I created a “Blank” Blueprint project (Desktop, Maximum Quality, No Starter Content)
  2. Play->Standalone Game
  3. Enter console command “fullscreen”

If the “Oculus VR Runtime Service” is running (even with NO Oculus hardware plugged in right now for my test, and on a freshly powered on workstation), the project does NOT go into fullscreen. If I open the “services.msc” and stop the service and repeat steps 2-3 above, the project DOES go into full screen.

On the Oculus side, I’ve got the latest consumer version drivers installed (as of Saturday) and I have a DK2. But this information is just for reproduction purposes. It shouldn’t matter to my application if my players have an Oculus or not. I’m not targeting VR. And I don’t want my players to have to stop their oculus service just to play my game in fullscreen.

I just tested this with the released build I have available for download on and if I use my “Toggle Full Screen Button” with the Oculus runtime running, my game will not go into full screen. If I close the game, stop the service, and reload the game, my full screen button works just like it should.

Let me know if there’s any other information you need.

Hello ,

After taking another go at this issue I was able to reproduce this on our end. I have written up a report ( UE-29450) and I have submitted to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day