Can't import animation to default mannequin

I’ll explain the process I’ve been trying to use, to create some prototype animations for my project:

1. Export the UE ‘SK_Mannequin’ skeleton
  2. Import FBX into 3DSMax, do some animation on it, export it
  3. Import FBX back into Unreal, assigning it to the ‘SK_Mannequin’ skeleton in the import settings

However, Step 3 isn’t working. The export from Unreal creates a dummy object in the FBX, which I can delete, but the importer refuses to recognise that it’s the same / compatible skeleton. Trying to select it just throws the option back to ‘none’.

To troubleshoot the issue I decided to export an animation that’s already on the skeleton, and then reimport it. But I get the same issue, despite it being an export/import using UE4’s own tools.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Hi!

I don’t see any problem. If you use TP Template, you need apply animation to UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton

3DS MAX 2016

UE 4.11. Disable Import Mesh.

This is the process I was using (see first part of my question), but unfortunately it didn’t work. On import it refused to be assigned to the skeleton I’d just exported it from…

Unfortunately, in order to get it to work, I had to bring in a UE4 Mannequin from a new project and retarget everything to that. The new skeleton works fine. It seems that something was ‘corrupt’ in the old skeleton, but I have no idea what would cause a skeleton to become incompatible with itself!