Editor crashes on opening project caused by SetByRef node. Is there any way to recover this project?

I know the issue that’s causing this but I can’t get into the project to rectify it.

I have a couple of these inside of a function:

The function is currently connected to the EventTick.

This sequence of nodes has occasionally crashed in the past for me, but most of the time it works fine. Unfortunately, I managed to save the project prior to compiling it this time, and then it crashed. Now it just force closes every time I try to open it.

Any ideas?

I managed to recreate my project from memory so recovering it is irrelevant now.

These nodes in tandem within a function still crashes the editor (sometimes) though, FWIW.

Hello eanandroid,

I am happy to hear that you have been able to recreate your project. However, I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end. I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Are you using any plugins or custom code?

Hi Rudy,
Thankyou for getting back to me.

Sure thing.
The following crashes every time for me in 4.10…

1. New Blank Project (No starter content)

2. New Actor

3. New Function within New Actor

4. Add Function Inputs:

Bool1 - SetByRef=True

Bool2 - SetByRef=True

Bool3 - SetByRef=False

1. Drag wire from Bool1 and choose ‘Set By-Ref Var’

1. Drag wire from Bool3 and choose ‘Select’

1. Connect Select’s Index with Bool3 & Select’s Return Value to SetByRef’s Target

1. Connect Bool1 to Select’s False Pin, Bool2 to True Pin

1. Press Compile

82294-setbyrefcrash5.png

1. This is where it crashes for me

I’m not using any additional plugins or custom code btw.
I will add that the issue mostly seems to be with boolean values. If you make a test struct and change Bool1 & Bool2’s type to that struct it will compile fine apparently.

And now I think you’ve lead me to the culprit:
If nothing is connected to SetByRef’s Value is it taking it as essentially being NULL (as opposed to false like the unchecked box would imply)? That was the only other difference between the struct and bool type functions, I changed them back to bools but this time connected something to the SetByRef Value and it worked!

Ok, sorry to waste your time Rudy, but once again thanks for getting back to me.

Hello eanandroid,

I am happy that you found a workaround for your issue. After reading over the additional information I was able to reproduce this issue on our end. I have written up a report (UE-28443) and I have submitted to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

Cheers Rudy.