4.11 Preview 4 - UnrealHeaderTool - Fail to initilize Engine

Trying to bring over a project from UE 4.10.2, to 4.11-Preview 4.

4.11 copies over and creates the project, then when attempting to build the source code, gives the following error

(note this information from running a manual build)

1>------ Build started: Project: IwTranCpE410V2, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1> Creating makefile for IwTranCpE410V2Editor (no existing makefile)
1> Performing full C++ include scan (no include cache file)
1> Parsing headers for IwTranCpE410V2Editor
1> Running UnrealHeaderTool “P:\p_epic_sub\IwTranCpE410V2 4.11\IwTranCpE410V2.uproject” “P:\p_epic_sub\IwTranCpE410V2 4.11\Intermediate\Build\Win64\IwTranCpE410V2Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest” -LogCmds=“loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” -Unattended -installed
1>LogCompile : error : Failed to initialize the engine (PreInit failed).
1>Error : Failed to generate code for IwTranCpE410V2Editor - error code: CrashOrAssert (3)
1> UnrealHeaderTool failed for target ‘IwTranCpE410V2Editor’ (platform: Win64, module info: P:\p_epic_sub\IwTranCpE410V2 4.11\Intermediate\Build\Win64\IwTranCpE410V2Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(37,5): error MSB3073: The command ““G:\ue4launcher\Epic Games\4.11\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat” IwTranCpE410V2Editor Win64 Development “P:\p_epic_sub\IwTranCpE410V2 4.11\IwTranCpE410V2.uproject” -waitmutex -2015” exited with code -1.

Any other information needed, just let me know.

Thank you

Hey Jayice-

Can you post the results from the Output tab after a compile attempt? Seeing the “CrashOrAssert(3)” is likely the issue but more information can be found on the Output tab. Also, when converting the project did you do so through the project browser and create a copy or did you right click on the .uproject file and choose to Switch Engine Version?

Hello ,

I went through the project browser, and it did the copy. The copy seemed to work fine, as the Launcher, picked up the new project, and displayed it for selection.

The information above is from the “output” tab of VS 2015, from a manual build.

I created a new project in 4.10.2 and was able to update it to 4.11 preview without an issue. Are you able to upgrade another project or do you get this error when opening any project after upgrade? If this is unique to only the one project, can you send a copy of the 4.10.2 version so that I can try upgrading it on my end? If you are able to upload the project to Google Drive or Dropbox you can post the download link here or send me a PM on the forums with the link for privacy.

My apologies for not getting back with you sooner. Trying to finish up a product. Anyway, I hope later today to be able to get you some more information. Is there any method, that I can get into the Header Tool, and tell it to dump out more information during it’s run?

Can you confirm if this error occurs for other projects as well? Additionally, if you’re able to upload the 4.10.2 version of the project to Dropbox, can you then send me a link to download the project to try to upgrade on my end?

Finally got a few seconds to try using 4.11.preview 4, for “copying” a 4.10.2 project.

Here is what was really missing from the build information. This is message from preview 4, when it was trying to run VS2015 itself. So if you will this is the automated build. It’s the last line that is important. The Unrealheadertool, is not able to find it’s “manifest” file.

Running G:/ue4launcher/Epic Games/4.11/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe IwTranCpE410V2 Development Win64 -project=“P:/p_epic_sub/IwTranCpE410V2 4.11/IwTranCpE410V2.uproject” -editorrecompile -progress -noubtmakefiles -NoHotReloadFromIDE -2015
@progress push 5%
Parsing headers for IwTranCpE410V2Editor
Running UnrealHeaderTool “P:\p_epic_sub\IwTranCpE410V2 4.11\IwTranCpE410V2.uproject” “P:\p_epic_sub\IwTranCpE410V2 4.11\Intermediate\Build\Win64\IwTranCpE410V2Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest” -LogCmds=“loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” -Unattended -installed
LogCompile:Error: Failed to initialize the engine (PreInit failed).
Error: Failed to generate code for IwTranCpE410V2Editor - error code: CrashOrAssert (3)
UnrealHeaderTool failed for target ‘IwTranCpE410V2Editor’ (platform: Win64, module info: P:\p_epic_sub\IwTranCpE410V2 4.11\Intermediate\Build\Win64\IwTranCpE410V2Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).

I have not been able to reproduce this error on my end yet. Can you select the Verify option from the drop down menu? This should ensure that all necessary files exist and are not corrupt. Also let me know if you’re able to copy a new project from 4.10.2 to 4.11. If you still have issues upgrading your current project after using Verify, please upload a copy of the project and send me a download link so that I can see the issue firsthand. You can post the link here or send me a PM on the forums with the download link for privacy.

Hi jayice,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Hello,

I just tried to convert a project from 4.10 to 4.11 preview 8 and got the same “Fail to initialize Engine” error. This was attempted via the launcher creating a new copy

Hey hcenteno-

Can you try the steps I mentioned above of verifying the engine install as well as attempting to create a new 4.10 project then upgrade it to 4.11? if you’re still having this problem, can you then upload a copy of the 4.10 version of the project that isn’t converting and send a download link?

Hello ,

Thank you for the quick reply. I just verified 4.11 then created a Third Person C++ project in 4.10. The conversion to 4.11 failed with the same error:

1>------ Build started: Project: Test411, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
1>  Performing full C++ include scan (hot reloading a new target)
1>  Creating makefile for hot reloading Test411Editor (no existing makefile)
1>  Compiling game modules for hot reload
1>  Parsing headers for Test411Editor
1>    Running UnrealHeaderTool "E:\Unreal_Projects\Test411 4.11\Test411.uproject" "E:\Unreal_Projects\Test411 4.11\Intermediate\Build\Win64\Test411Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest" -LogCmds="loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error" -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors -installed
1>LogCompile : error : Failed to initialize the engine (PreInit failed).
1>Error : Failed to generate code for Test411Editor - error code: CrashOrAssert (3)
1>  UnrealHeaderTool failed for target 'Test411Editor' (platform: Win64, module info: E:\Unreal_Projects\Test411 4.11\Intermediate\Build\Win64\Test411Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(37,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.11\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" Test411Editor Win64 Development "E:\Unreal_Projects\Test411 4.11\Test411.uproject" -waitmutex -2015" exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Update: I tried the same process but uninstalling the “Substance Designer” plugin in 4.10 first. The conversion now worked for the new project but still fails for my own project. I’m not really using the plugin. Are there references to it that maybe are causing the conversion to fail?

Ah! Fixed. I just deleted the reference to the substance plugin in the uproject file and the error disappeared. I guess there’s a check for missing plugins needed somewhere during the conversion chain? Thanks!

Hey jayice and hcenteno-

It appears this issue is caused by the Substance plugin being present in the project. As hcenteno pointed out, disabling / removing references to the plugin should allow the project to upgrade successfully. This bug has been reported (UE-28923) for investigation.

Cheers

HCenteno and ,

Thank you both very much for finding this issue!

Same problem here, removed the reference to the Substance plugin and it run’s fine.

Same problem here, but in my case i have to remove the Opitrack plugin reference at the project and now its runs fine.