Editable Blueprint values keep resetting

Hi,

you can see in this first image i’ve set some custom settings in the editor for blueprints with public variables, however after awhile it resets to it’s defaults.

The second image is what happens after not touching any of the blueprint actors at all. As you can see the patrol distance and the spline obstacle is not what i set anymore Not sure when it happens, it’s like every 3rd time i open the level/editor or some time has gone by it’s all reset. Any idea how to fix this? It’s really annoying setting it up again and again.

Hi Kelint,

• What specific values are being reset?
  • Is this a parent blueprint or is it a child of another blueprint?
  • Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content?
  • What steps can I take to reproduce this error on my end?

What specific values are being reset?
All of them reset to the current blueprints default, so if i change values exposed publicly, they will go back to the selected blueprints defaults; not the parents.

Is this a parent blueprint or is it a child of another blueprint?
Child, if it’s a root parent BP it doesn’t reset

Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content?
I’ve migrated some child BP’s to a new side scrolling project. I’ll let you know when/if it happens again.

What steps can I take to reproduce this error on my end?
Sounds very similar to this as to when the reset occurs. A certain pattern of saving, compiling, playtesting and restarting the editor.

Hi Kelint,

I looked into this and originally thought the error had been fixed as of 4.9.1, however that was a separate bug report. This is a known issue, UE-6447, and is still under assessment. I will add this information to the bug report along with an update that additional developers are experiencing this error. Unfortunately I do not have a timeframe of when a fix will be made available.

Ok, thanks

I’ll let you know if this still happens on the next update.

I’m on 4.10.4 and this is still happening.

same bug happen for me on two project, always child actor placed in level are affected by this reset

this is annoying i have to redo all my level every time, not funny… i am wasting millions hours redoing the value

Hi everyone,

I have updated UE-6447 to reflect that additional users are experiencing this error.

I’ve just started getting this error after updating to 4.11 (and 4.11.1).
The resetting doesn’t appear to have a direct cause as it happens randomly, sometimes it resets upon closing the reopening the editor, but not every time.

Currently this is effecting multiple blueprints in the level and the variable types of: int, float (including vectors) and bool are getting reset to default values. However only some bools in the blueprints are resetting, whilst others are left unchanged; it is always the same variables that are / are not reset.Some of the affected blueprints have arrays of actors stored in them which are also not reset.

I’ll update with some screenshots, when this occurs again.

I’m also experiencing this problem with components on 4.12. For me though it happens every time I open the editor or reopen the level in the editor.

For me they are also completely reset, ignoring even the default values set inside of the blueprint.

Hi cmann,

I checked into this and this bug is still under assessment by the development staff. Unfortunately, at present our resources are dedicated elsewhere and I do not have a timeframe of when a fix will be implemented.

Hi ,

this bug has been around for a long time (18+ months) and keeps getting more critical the bigger a project growths.

On our last title there were relatively few blueprints, making this mostly a nuisance. On the current one though, there are already dozens of blueprints, with many more to come. Some of them keep resetting all their values on virtually every editor restart, and quite a few others a few values each.

This is going to be impossible to handle relatively soon. Could you please talk to the respective staff again about getting this bumped up in priority? It would mean a lot to us.

Hi abeccu,

While I cannot guarantee that it will see a bump in priority, I have passed this information along to be assessed by the development staff.

From what I can understand the bug as reported in UE-6447 is not the same as the bug I seem to be having, and others seem to be having. The bug on the site is “Changing variable defaults in parent BP does not update changes in child

But this issue doesn’t seem to be that at all. It’s that blueprints that inherit from other blueprints are having their variables reset to their own base values randomly when opening levels.

I’m concerned this would lead to the wrong issue trying to be fixed. Or claims that it’s fixed when this issue is not. Unless I’m mistaken?

Hi Ungalyant,

I believe we’re looking at two separate issues, as UE-6447 ties directly to what is seeing, but you may be experiencing something different. Do you have steps I can take to reproduce the error you are seeing on your end?

I am experiencing this every week in 4.12.5 when working with UMG widgets. Widgets that I frequently re-use such as a buttons, I have made into a UMG widget with some member variables exposed upon spawn (such as buttontext), and then in UMG widget, say for example the main menu that has a lot of my button widgets, I set the values for buttontext for each button widget in the designer tab. Frequently when I open up the menu widget, all the buttontext for each of the button widgets are set to blank, becuase all of the default values have now been reset.

I am using CVS as source repository and all of my widgets are checked into source control. I do not know if its source control that is causing it to loose values like this.

This only seems to happen to widgets that I have open when the editor is closed. I will try closing all my blueprints before exiting.

Hi GRWalton,

Thank you for your update. I have updated UE-6447 to reflect that additional developers are experiencing this error.

This Bug is definately not fixed yet. I’ve been struggling with this in two of my projects and it causes me to invest hours of work to reset all the variables manually, like has to.

I can not really say how to reproduce this issue because it happens absolutely randomly as far as I can tell. Some of my variables stay and some get reset to the default settings of the parent class.

Please fix this issue :frowning:

Hi polygon,

Is what you are experiencing the same as the OP or as Ungalyant’s post? UE-6447 can be viewed here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-6447)

As of yet is has been unresolved. It would be best to check on the link above to track the issue for a potential fix.