UMG Widget Animation Text Color Bug

Hi guys,
I’m using a UMG widget to animate some text. On construct, I run an animation that fades the text in.

I am encountering 2 bugs, or possibly 1 that has two manifestations.

1. If you keyframe ONLY the opacity, the text color always defaults and does not take the Slate Color I give it from a variable in graph. My original plan was to set the color in a variable. Each of these messages have a severity level (Critical is red, Warning is yellow, etc) Then I would just use the animation to dictate opacity.

That didn’t work. So then I tried #2.

1. If you do all the color keyframes (ex: I want the text to be red so I set RGB and Opacity in the animation) and therefore have 4 animations that are identical (except the color), and it all still comes out white. (Picture of setup below. In game, it’s white.) Still doesn’t work.

Very strange. Bug or am I doing something wrong?

Oops, okay I fixed the SECOND issue. It was user error (I forgot to set a variable for that method.)

The FIRST issue is still an issue. If you don’t have anim keys for the RGB, you still can’t override the RGB. (Not pictured. I can provide a picture if it’s unclear what I mean.)

Hello Zaggoth,

I was able to reproduce the animation timeline showing the incorrect color when just animating the opacity, however when I apply an new color to the text block it accepts the color (it still does not update on the timeline) and appears to function as expected (fading out with what ever color I give it). I have provided an example of what I have working on my end. I have also written up a report ( UE-18523) for the timeline showing the wrong color and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. Thank you for your time and information.

Example:

I have made a widget that fades out with a random color every 2.5 seconds (this is the length of the animation).

Make it a great day

Hi Rudy,
I see now how you achieved this, though it’s a lot more complex than what I had in mind. The problem I had was with setting a Slate Color, which involves a much simpler process (just grabbing the color from a single constant.)

Thanks for submitting that! It would definitely be nice to allow animations to override opacity.

Thanks again.

Sharing this answer for those that might find this running into the same problem. Rather than animating the “Color and Opacity” you only need to animate the “Render Opacity”. This solves the problem with the color changing on you.

1 Like