[4.8] Update Instance Transform - scale not working

I have some blueprint that calls updateInstanceTransform with a new scale value. 4.8 is broken. Worked fine in 4.7.

Hey Steve,

Could you please provide us a screenshot of the blueprint that you’re having trouble with? With this information, we’ll be able to reproduce this in house and provide any information, or report a bug to our developers.

Thanks!

It should be easy to reproduce. I don’t have a simple screenshot. Create a bunch of instanced meshes, then do a for loop and update the transform with a scale of .5,.5,.5 or whatever and nothing happens. it worked fine it 4.7.

Hey ,

I have set up a blueprint that allows scaling of a static mesh. I am not able to replicate what you’re stating is occurring, which is why it would be really helpful if I had your blueprint to reference. If you’re able to provide me with a screenshot of your blueprint, I’ll be able to test this out in house and submit a bug to our developers if it’s not working.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

See that? Took me 5 seconds to reproduce it. Works fine in 4.7.6, fails if using 4.8

Hello,

I have recreated this blueprint exactly as described and have verified the bug in 4.8.0. This report can be referenced as: UE-17119

Thank you for noticing the issue, have a great day.

It’s not only the scale. The location too.

Thank you, I’ve updated the report with the following information! :slight_smile:

Hi grall69,

If you check the “Mark Render State Dirty” checkbox the transform will update. This was added to improve performance problems when updating many instances. I don’t think it should default to false however.

I’ll add a tooltip to make sure the functionality is documented.

Cheers

Thanks! That fixed it.

Just wondering the proper way to use this. Should we only check that checkbox on the last instance we are updating to optimize performance? Why wouldn’t you always have this checked?

If you’re updating a handful of instances it won’t make any noticeable difference. But if you’re updating hundreds in a single frame, I guess you could get slightly better performance only setting the checkbox on the final instance.

Looking at the code, I can’t really see much benefit at all. The checkbox was added in a pull request (a submission). I’m going to follow up with the engineer who integrated the change to find out more details as to exactly why it was added.

Cheers

Yeah, it’s fixed for me too after checked the last Instance.
And looks like better (I was on 4.6.1).

Thanks a lot .