Crash on accessing a blueprint with a data table function before opening the imported data or struct

Crash on accessing a blueprint with a data table function before opening the imported data or struct

Branch: Binary

Build version: 4.6.1 - 2386410

When using a Get Data Table Row node in a blueprint, the editor will crash when attempting to do pretty much anything with that blueprint and any other blueprint with references to it. Attempting to run the game, opening the blueprint, and even right clicking on it in the content browser cause a crash.

If you have opened the CSV data or the struct used for importing that data, or you have right clicked the struct, everything works fine.

Reproduction

1. Create some CSV data.
  2. Create a struct for importing that data.
  3. Import CSV data.
  4. Create a blueprint.
  5. Add a Get Data Table Row.
  6. Select the CSV data.
  7. Save and restart the editor.
  8. Right click the blueprint.
  9. Observe your desktop wallpaper.

Step 8 can be replaced with running or opening the blueprint.

Frequency: 100%. I created a new blueprint, test csv data, and a struct. I put a single row in with the name, a boolean, float, and a string. Same result. I pared the data and struct down to just the row name and a string, and that crashed as well.

Expected behavior

Not crashing.

Additional notes

I observed this without having the Get Data Table Row hooked up to anything. Just in case there was something else weird, I did hook it up to execution lines and it didn’t make any difference.

Edit

The above is still accurate. However, I discovered an additional thing that really points at the data table struct interaction. You can open either the struct or the CSV data and it works, but when I tried the right click thing, I only did it on the struct originally. If you just fire up the editor and right click on the CSV data in the content browser the editor will crash from that alone.

Callstack attached.

Hi ,

I attempted to reproduce this on my end but have thus far been unsuccessful. Does this occur for you in a clean project with no additional content? Can you post the crash logs here? You can find them at \Unreal Projects\PROJECT NAME\saved\logs. Thank you!

New project, blank template, no starter content, no connection to source control, same result.

Point of interest: Attempting to directly attach a log file throws an error about it being an invalid file type; it had to be renamed.

Log File

Hi ,

Can you post your dxdiag here as well? I just want to eliminate any possibilities as I have yet to reproduce this on my end.

I pulled down a fresh 4.6.1 on one of my other machines. Different hardware, different OS, no previous UE4 stuff installed on it. Same crash.

I’m attaching a .

test.csv - My test data for this most recent test.
DxDiag1.txt - My workstation that I normally use.
DxDiag2.txt - My second machine.
MyProject/ - The directory for the project that I just created. I can open that up, right click on ‘test’ in the content browser, and the editor will crash.

Hi ,

I was able to reproduce this and have entered a bug report, UE-7023 to be assessed by the development staff.

Hi ,

was this bug fixed in 4.10?

I think I encountered a similar bug: I created a weapon data table which was used in my weapon blueprint construction script to feed weapon information based on the row name.

At first everything worked but I noticed that the UE4 memory consumption reached nearly 4GB (from normally 700-900mb) in a short amount of time and at some point it crashed. Since then trying to open the project resulted in an instant crash, which forced me to roll back to an old project backup.

Unfortunately I have no logs at the moment.

Unfortunately, this error is outdated and was fixed back in 4.8. If you could, please create a new answerhub post. In the answerhub post, please include your dxdiag, crash callstack, crash logs (if you get any after the next crash), and detailed repro steps. Additionally, please let us know if this occurs in a clean, blank project with no additional content or if it is limited to a specific project.