4.6 Shootergame release/package black window

At package/release the game without changes at run the exe open the window without content all black and the computer start to have freezes(slow).
No idea if this is by the steam api, how disable th steam api ?
And why the game have 2 exes ? For what is the main root exe ?

Hi ,

I was able to reproduce this and have entered a bug report, UE-6461 to be assessed by the development staff. Thank you.

In Engine.ini

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Steam

I replaced it with

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Null

Just ran into this myself testing my game with a few friends. Got the game to start for me, figured out only thing different was I wasn’t logged into steam at the time.

Haven’t been able to start up a match yet but at least the game is starting and people can mess around locally. Using the "Open " command in console caused a crash to desktop.

Edit: Logging out of Steam and shutting it down allowed us to start online matches and play.

Looks like the steam api is included in 4.6 but no idea why not work as expected, thanks for the info.

Found a workaround for the time being.

I’m using a batch file in the packaged games root folder to launch the game.

start "" WindowsNoEditor\TestGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGame.exe -NOSTEAM

The -NOSTEAM part is the important bit. I’ve been able to launch without having to log out of steam. I haven’t had a chance to have anyone else test it though but it works for me for both the client and server executables.

Is this fixed / working for 4.7 ?

Hi ,

This is still under assessment by the development staff. Unfortunately I do not have a timeframe of when a fix will be implemented.

Had the same issue with 4.7.6, tried many solutions offered on UE4 Answerhub such as deleting the project, emptying the vault,…

To get the Shootergame to launch from the Editor or the executable to run, exiting the Steam application as suggested in the comments above was all that was required.