Gstreamer not working in Unreal Engine 5 application on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

The post relates to GStreamer, an open source video streaming plugin. I’m posting here because gstreamer forums are kinda dead. I hope the Unreal community will be able to find a solution.

I’m currently working on UE 5.2 and I’m trying to stream a part of the display through gstreamer for a python script to read. The reading part is being done by my teammate, I just need to get gstreamer running.

I developed the application in UE 5.2 on Windows and cross-compiled and packaged for Linux. I packaged for Windows too and gstreamer works flawlessly in the Windows build. No issues whatsoever.

However, the Linux build of the application launches and works, but it seems gstreamer is not opening the port 127.0.0.1:5000 for the test application to detect.

I checked using netstat and it seems the port is not opening on Linux but does open successfully on Windows.

I am not very adept on Linux so it could be a Linux-specific issue. I tested gstreamer with the test video stream by command:

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! videoconvert ! autovideosink

And it displayed me the test video stream properly.

So I’m guessing gstreamer is set up properly.

When running the application:

GitHub - jriegel/Unreal-gstreamer-plugin: Render video content to texture via appsink node This is the gstreamer repo I am using as this is the only one I found to work in UE 5.2

gst-launch-1.0 -v tcpclientsrc host=127.0.0.1 port=5000 ! videoparse width=640 height=480 framerate=60/1 format=8 ! autovideoconvert ! autovideosink

This is the command I used to launch the test stream ^

Any help please?

Update: The issue seems to be with Gstreamer plugin not packaging correctly for Linux I think. I packaged a development build and it generated a log for me. There are some major errors regarding GStreamer.

Hi!
Did you manage to run this?
I just ran into the problem of needing to run videos on Linux and this seems to be the way to go.

If you managed to do it, could you please share a working version of the plugin so that I don’t make the same mistakes.

Hi! You’ll need a native installation of g-streamer for linux. The plugin tries to reference the local gstreamer installation. Try this gstreamer plugin I found on the internet. It has build files for both Windows and Linux and should work on Linux. This is for 5.4 btw
GStreamer_5_4.rar (24.4 MB)