Animation propels my character mesh into the air

When I play an animation, it makes my character mesh rise into the air, so I’d like to make sure that the animation doesn’t make the mesh rise. I’ve tried changing the location on the Z axis, but even though the mesh stays on the ground, the animation still makes it rise.
I’d like the animation to stop the mesh rising, but I can’t manage it.
On the images you can see the problem in question
Thank you for your answers

This has to do with rootmotion most likely. Are you using an animation from Mixamo?

Also, try doing this:

1. Open your skeletal mesh and go to the skeleton tab:

2. Go to the Options and enable “Show Retargeting Options”:

3. If you are using the UE skeleton, switch the “Pelvis” from Animation to “Animation Scaled”:
    https://i.gyazo.com/7a4d320b041cfad246c864c805ee2163.mp4

4. Ctrl+Shift+S to save all.

Let me know if this helps. If not, you might need to provide some more information.

Doesn’t need to be.

The root bone is not avaliable within the skeleton settings (at least from what i recall).

If the root bone is the one moving, then the best option is to author the animation in a DCC to zero it out.

Since th animation is slightly crouched, and the height of it seems to be about right for the crunching its doing, I’d say its almost safe to say the animation’s root bone was not handled correctly while making the animation.
Or that rhe animation’s export settings were wrong…

Also, why on earth would someone scale the pelvis bone?
Scaling it wouldnt do much if not shrink the mesh at the size of the pelvis.
And getting the setting to comply with that on the skeleton makes little to no sense as well.
Scaling should be set for extremities/limbs, where its possible some animations make use of it.
But not for the pelvis…

The root bone is available within the skeleton settings. And you are most likely right - animation isn’t my proficient area of knowledge but I’m just trying to help OP with some of the solutions that worked for me while importing animations/models from Blender to UE4.

1 Like

If the root bone is avaliable within the skeleton settings, then setting the setting for it to Skeleton should prevent animations from moving it around / disable root motion as a whole.
It could be a viable fix so long as one is aware that you then cannot use an animation to rotate the root bone - like turn in place - or similar.
(Well ok, turn in place done proper uses animation curves, so bad example, but same idea).

1 Like

It Work the animation dont rise in the air, the only problem now is that my character’s pelvis is getting longer. maybe if I change a few settings in the retarget options that should solve the problem

What you see probably isn’t the bone getting longer.

Unreal likes to represent bones as from A to B where a and b are related/parented.

So in your case, it would appear your pelvis is in fact moving up.
Something within the recording likely caused it…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.