Data Tables as variable in Blueprint

(Apologies if this has already been posted here, I couldn’t find it by searching)

I would like to be able to access a data table as a variable in Blueprint, in order to be able to dynamically set the specific Data Table

It currently seems (unless I am mistaken) that this is impossible.

I am working with a large number of video files, each of which has a specific Data Table attached to it. It is unfeasible to either (a) roll all the data tables together into one which could be hardcoded in the Blueprint (it would be too large and unwieldy) or (b) create a specific hardcoded Blueprint for each Data Table.

Is this something which could be easily implemented with some simple C++, or is it a deeper problem than that?

I agree, it would be nice to have DataTable type variable in blueprints. For now, I must hardcode (i use Switch node with outputs connected to separate Get Data Table Row nodes) which data table to use in particular cases.
You have my sword! :slight_smile:

A switch is certainly a possibility as a workaround for now – thanks!

I feel like someone with a good sense of the C++ side of Blueprint could probably implement this… (not really much of a coder myself)

Does anyone know if there’s any progress on this?

Any plans to bring this into an upcoming version?

Alternatively, does anyone actually know how hard this would be to implement in C++?

1 Like

I wanted to add my voice in for wanting a DataTable variable. Looking around it seems to be a highly requested feature that a lot of people would find useful, (here is the google search results for the feature DataTable Variable

I just downloaded the new 4.10 preview and it appears to still be impossible. Here’s hoping they add it in before release.

1 Like

I could use this as well!

1 Like

Still waiting for this!

Anyone heard anything?

1 Like

+1 I need this too

This would be really handy to have built into the editor

1 Like

Any known updates to this?? Still searching and waiting.

The current implementation of Data Tables requires a User Defined Structure, would a Array of Structs satisfy the need?

If you are compiling engine code, I shared how to make data tables work as a blueprint variable

Epic claims full support coming in 4.15