Unreal News Mega Collection
Hey everyone, I've decided to go ahead and give to the community everything that I have found to be helpful over the past 9 weeks since UE4 first came out. This compilation has taken me 2 days just to put down into a word document, and I have thus decided to not make an accompanying video where I give a quick rundown of all my findings. However, from now on, I plan on making such a video of what I have found to be the highlights of my weekly findings, as well as updating this post with links to said findings. Edit: Yea, previous sentence was written before it just took me several hours to make this post easy to read before i saw the WYSIWIG switch button. T_T Not sure if I have the heart to do this EVERY week, so I might just update this when I have enough stuff to warrant going through this hell again, and skip the videos covering the updates. IDK atm, cuz its 3am, but I'll think on it for now.
As much as I may want to say I put this up for everyone selflessly, that is not the case. While I do not demand anything, I respectfully request two things of everyone who comes across this post and finds it useful.
First, I ask that if you find something on this list that lets you understand some other, interesting or useful mechanic that you were trying to understand before, and there is not already a tutorial on the subject on this post, please consider making a tutorial describing and teaching your discovery. Not only do I personally want to share in all the revelations brought forth from this post, but I cannot imagine that others would not like to do so as well. So please, if you do make a tutorial, send me a link here and I will add it to the rest.
Second, as I am hoping that this post will gain alot of traffic, I will usually post a link to a forum post describing what my latest problem in UE4 is (and yes, I believe there will be many). To that end, if you find this post helpful to you in any way, I please ask to you follow the link to my problem post and help me attempt to solve it. If you can't help me, then that is fine, all I ask is that you at the very least take a look. I am a novice at best when it comes to game making, and I have no support group to turn to other than the community, so I appreciate any and all help that comes my way.
Stuff Highlighted in RED is the newest stuff that I have posted/Edited
Such red posts will stay red until the end of the each week
Hey everyone, I found a super site of good tutorials for VFX, but you need to have in site points to be able to get access to some of the better tutorials. I can get points on my account if you guys just go to the page below (1 point if you visit, 5 points if you sign up, but that is kinda hard). I would just buy the points, but I don't know how to use their Chinese version of Paypal. T_T
Date of List Edits
- June 1, 2014
- June 3, 2014
- June 8, 2014
My Problem of the Day
Trying to make walls that come between my character and my camera sink down so I can see my character again.
NEW: Trying to import an animated mesh that is NOT a character Woo, really helpful Dev over at the Answerhub helped out with this one. Look forward to some super cool fx!
Now, on with the Post!!!!!
Yea, I stopped looking for more youtube links after I got to the 500 mark in my favorites. D:
Official Unreal Twitch Streams
Here is a list of what topics were covered during each twitch stream.
- Week 1: Introduction to the UE4 engine
- Week 2: Discussion on Rendering
- Week 3: Discussion about various elements of Fortnite, Epic’s first UE4 game
- Week 4: Previewing the new 4.1 Patch for UE4 engine
- Week 5: Discussion about various tools within the UE4 engine
- Week 6: Revealing the plans for making a new Unreal Tournament, as well as a discussion on blueprints and virtual reality within UE4
- Week 7: Update on the progress of UT and a discussion on AI within UE4
- Week 8: Discussion on the blueprints and art direction of Tappy Chicken
- Week 9: Discussion on the upcoming vehicle template and sample project
Community Tutorial Leaders UE4
These are the people that have done the community a great service by creating wonderful tutorials, which are listed below their names. Included are links to their youtube pages, and other pages if applicable.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TeslaUE4/videos
- TONS OF AWESOME TUTS
- Basic Pickup with movement
- Actor look/face at player
- Change Map via Blueprint
- Enable project settings on Cooked Project
- Nav Mesh Rebuild Realtime
- First Person Flashlight
- Basic AI Navigation
- Blend Walk/Run (Third Person)
- Basic Sprint System
- Ragdoll / Simulate Physics
- Text Face Player
- Aircraft Engine Audio
- Ambient Audio (Basic)
- Fuel System (Pickup/HUD)
- Draw Text/HUD Blueprint
- Geocontrol 2 Workflow (landscape)
- Basic Moving Platform
- Sound Cues
- Decals w/ free blood pack
- Explosive projectile
- 2 vids for beginners guide to player input
- Basic Camera Feed
- Physical Materials
- Set Gravity
- 3 vids for Basic Hunger System
- Time of Day
- Interactable Button
- Swimmable Water
- Import Heightmap
- Post Process Effects
- Create an Explosion
- Create a Cutscene
- Simple Flashlight
- 2 Vids for Destructible Meshes
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Hourences/videos
- Personal Site: http://www.hourences.com/
- Three free, lengthy videos on his youtube channel about The Solus Project, a game he is making using the UE4 engine. All are a very good watch, even if you buy his other videos
- On his personal site, he is selling 13 hours worth of video tutorials about how he made various elements of Solus. I have bought the first two videos and I have to say they are completely worth it.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/PubGamesAU/videos
- 3 Videos about creating a Tripmine
- Basic Vertex Painting
- Asset Importation
- 2 Videos about creating Interior Water
- 4 Videos about creating a Flickering Light
- Screen Space GPU Fire Particles
- 4 Videos about creating an Explosive Barrel
- And Various UDK tutorials that are worth a look at.
Tales of Nalstone
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TalesOfNalstoneTeam/videos
- Primarily videos about asset creation, there are a few videos that cover him going and taking those assets and putting them into UE4.
- His Videos are less tutorials and more him just talking about what he is doing while he is doing it, and with each video being at least an hour long, be prepared to have a good long sit down for an epic learning experience.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CHADALAK1/videos
- His UE4 videos are all C++ based tutorials
- Basic AI
- Charged Projectiles
- True FPS with zoomable third person
- So sad I won’t be able to benefit as I know nothing about C++
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TeamProSkillLP/videos
- 2 Videos on creating a health system, spawning a bomb, and applying damage all over a network
- Springing using C++ and Blueprints
- Zoomable Third Person Camera
- Dynamic Global Illumination & Time of Day
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVisceral89/videos
- High and low poly modeling tutorials
- Really nice stylized floor texture tutorial
- Material Functions and Basic Vertex Painting
- Upvectors (defining the tops of things)
- And some livestreams (I suggest watching the modelling livestream, its pretty rad
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBrokenChef/videos
- Heightmap for UE4
- Creating Terrain Texture Layers
- Creating a Loading Screen in UE4 and Maya
- Various streams of him working on various projects
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtusEdu/videos
- VERY beginner tutorials for the basics of how to use UE4. Good to check out if you have never used a program like UE4 before or if you are having trouble getting to understand it.
- 15 UE4 tutorials in total, with many other tutorials for other things, like HTML web programming
Muhammad A. Moniem
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBB...iZPGkgg/videos
- 11 excellent videos explaining how he made various elements of his game Braid, created in UE4
- Contains good info about 2D sprite use
- + the guy awesomely looks like John Snow from Game of Thrones
MetalGameStudios AKA Fighter5347 (All tutorials are both in English and German versions)
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalGameStudios/featured
- Material Functions
- Changing Material Effects
- Bump Offsets
- Skeletal Mesh Matinee Animation
- Blinking Lights
- Blinking Bugs (particles)
- Random Colors
- Candle Fire Particles
- Vertex Painting
- Cutom Weapons
- Ice Material
- Glass Material
- Apex Cloth
- Swimmable Water
- Material Slots
- Day & Night Cycle
- Decal Actors
- Creating a Flishlight
- Custom Characters
- Rigid Bodies
- 2nd UV Channel
- Attaching things to sockets
- Material Nodes
- Migrating Assets between projects
- Wind Effects
- Foliage Tool
- LOD in blender/max
- Exporting things
- BSP brush
- Landscape Tools
- Creating an Interface
- As well as various UDK tutorials that might be good to look at
Roman Potapov (Many tutorials, but not in English. Russian, or German I think).
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4...rE72DQobyrwhbQ
- 30 something tutorials, what about I have no idea
- Good set of videos showcasing things he is doing in UE4
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChX...AI6i71kqZMc1Zw
- 4 good sound tutorials
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/KingBadger3d/videos
- 6 tutorials focusing on creating a character in blender, moving into UE4, and using it with mocap data, as well as correcting that mocap data.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/RealDaveTheFreak/videos
- Advanced Materials (Instancing)
- Basic Tessellation
- Distance Based Tessellation
- Dynamic Materials/Material Blending
- Working with RGB Masks
- Advanced Bump Mapping: Creation & Techniques
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/piinecone/videos
- 2 awesome videos creating a working car in UE4 (before the UE4 team came out with their car template)
- As well as some nifty aircraft and hovercraft showcase videos
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/DevinLevelDesign/videos
- Various UE4 tutorials recreating a game called Breakout (I think its like that pong ball breaker game, idk)
- Also, an alarm and strobe light blueprint tutorial
N0B0DY (o’s are 0’s)
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...E_-ypBPhtz4upA
- Various UE4 and UDK tutorials, all in German/Deutsch, so I don’t know what they are detailing, but one is about landscapes, and another is about a quest system.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/raven67854/videos
- Creating Collision meshes (SO HELPFUL!)
- From Blender to UE4
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...9PAEyWQ/videos
- Various UE4 tutorials in…. Russian, I think? Not sure what they are about, but if you speak the language, might be a good idea to find out
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/4music2junkie0/videos
- Awesome set of tutorials of fun little things
- 4 videos on how to make an Enemy AI Turret
- 5 videos on how to make a Portal Gun
- Billboard explanation
- Flipbook explanation
- 3 videos on how to make a PowerUP
- How to add rockets to your spaceship
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MandiSmash/videos
- Importing models from Unity
- Moving assets from Unity 4 to UE4
- How to permanently resize a mesh within UE4
- And tons of Skyrim Creation Kit tutorials, if that’s of interest to you
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVt...1uUx2_w/videos
- A good number of both UE4 and UDK tutorials, all in german, however, so good to checkout if you know the language.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/shoiko/videos
- 5 part tutorial series on how he makes his terrains
- Also, a good number of videos showing off the results of testing various elements in UE4, including implementation of RPG Engine
- Check out dat RPG swaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWisdomcube2000/videos
- Basic HUD stuff quickie
- Low Rez Material Effect
- Low Rez Material Post Process Effect
- Sharing Variables between HUD/Character and making a basic HUD
- And some cool test videos of his various projects
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Meletou1/videos
- 43+ videos of UE4 goodness, all in French. If you understand it, go for it. I will go sit in a corner and cry for a bit now.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/imbuefx/videos
- Personal Site: https://www.imbuefx.com/
- Tons of tutorials for cool VFX (particles) for both UDK and UE4 (same system = doesn’t matter which it was made for) with some free goodies on their site, and even more in depth stuff for sale.
- I really suggest you watch the Fire in UDK Live Class. Its’ quite in depth.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/vladderbeest/videos
- Amazing 4 part tutorial on how to make mesh based particle effects. A truly wonderful person, as there is very little documentation out there about creating this sort of thing.
- Also has a post in the forum about this, called Luos Particle Showcase or something
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Clunk47/videos
- Only one tutorial on Trigger Volumes, but this guy is one to watch, cuz WAYPOINTS!
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ut40kgeodav/videos
- Basic Wheeled Vehicle
- Show Wind for Cloth
- Show Post Processing
- Small Toolbar Icons
- 3 Vids for Blender to UE4 Character Rigs
- Console Open
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DRocksChannel/videos
- Flying Birds in UE4
- 3 Vid Static Mesh Morphing
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Magnilucent/videos
- Again, only one tutorial on UE4 Source Control, but a lot of good UDK experimentation to take a look at.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WeaverTube1/videos
- Two awesome vids on Top Down Mouselooking and an interesting tutorial on projectiles
- Thanks to this guy, I was able to start making my current game
Peter L. Newton
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/PeterLNewton/videos
- 5 Vid tutorial on the AI Behavior Tree & NavMeshes
- Adding Camera Sway/Lag
- Creating a Custom Cursor
- Double Jumping
- Shooting Projectiles at Mouse Position (Top Down)
- Not many vidoes currently, but I love the way this guy teaches
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JMProjectBlog/videos
- Two UE4 tutorials in a language unknown to me, they look nifty, but I have no inkling as to their content
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WACOMalt/videos
- Adding Wind to Grass
- Getting World Machine Terrains into UE4
- And he is working on a nifty racing game
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/unrealdevs/videos
- Personal: www.unrealdevs.com
- 8 Vids for making a Basic Shooter Game with Spawning Objects to Shoot in C++
- 4 Vids for making an Interactable Sign in C++
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MulleDK13/videos
- Only one tutorial, but a lengthy one at just over 2 hours for making a laser shooting effect with the cascade particle editor and blueprints
- Oh, and he has some super awesome short showcase videos of things he has accomplished so far in UE4 (I LOVE HIS KEYPAD VIDS)
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/udkitalia/videos
- Some UE4 and UDK tutorials. Not sure what they are about, but I suspect they are in Italian.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/qubodup/videos
- This guys makes tutorials on how to make certain sound effects.
- Now, while this guy may not make UE4 tutorials or may not even know what UE4 is, he is pretty amazing if you want to get some simple sound effects into your games.
- Also, he has a good number of example sound effects for your listening pleasure.
- My favorite of his tutorials is how to make yourself sound like a protoss.
- Oh, and don’t forget about Epic’s personal channel chock full of tutorial goodness.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChz...PgEjAng/videos
- This guy, is amazing. He has a (so far) 45 part video series of him making a videogame using blender and UE4, with each episode being anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours. Yea, pretty amazing stuff.
Center Mass Development
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyP...GBujYgg/videos
- This guy has a cool tutorial on making an RTS Style Camera setup using blueprints. He is just starting out in the UE4 and tutorial world, so give him much love!
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/HostileGForceGaming/videos
- Personal: http://garretspenst.com/home/
- Not really a tutorial video guy, but definitely an awesome guy nonetheless as he is freely giving out a super Vertex Material setup if you go check out his website, though the image might be a bit small to see all the details (in which case, just use your imagination)
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/you4tom/videos
- Player can type in stuff onto the HUD
- Passing Blueprint Data
- 2 Vid tutorial on making a HUD in blueprint
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/pipesfranco/videos
- This guy has an amazing 7 part series of him recreating a scene from some concept art in UE4, going over the modeling, texturing, materials, and even discussion on the theory of the recreation. Its’ pretty fantastic.
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTykesson/videos
- Introduction to Blueprints
- Movement and Delta Time
- Character and Line Trace
- For Loops and Spawn Actor
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/VREVIEWS85/videos
- Side Scroller
- Making a Flashlight From Scratch
- FBX Export/Import from Maya Quick Fix
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Liaret/videos
- Enhancing Top-Down Game Blueprints
- Pawn Mouse Rotation
- And a couple of cool showcase vids
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDaerst/videos
- Creating an Auto-Adjusting Third-Person Camera
- Smooth Third-Person Camera Reset
- Blender to UE4 in a Nutshell
- Introduction to Level Streaming
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/theUDKscriptures/videos
- 10 multi part UDK tutorials that have a fair amount of relevance to UE4
- Z-axis oriented material is a good one
- Don’t forget Rama, the wizard alien of C++ goodies and tutorials. He has made a ton of blueprint nodes as well, so you can benefit from C++ without having to understand any of it!
- While this guy currently doesn’t have any UE4 tutorials, he does have some good UDK tutorials and has stated that he is planning on moving into making UE4 tutorials, so give him much love and views so that he will feel inspired to make goodies sooner.
- Two part tutorial on a triplanar material (multi directional multi texture material.... aka cool beans!)
One off community tutorials UE4
- TechteamGB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2csn78OosAk
- Matinee & Blueprints
- Shin kicker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lx-drupqls
- Basic Landscape/Terrain
- LipowitzFilms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bja1WkPrN40
- Rollercoster Plugin for UE4
- Pavel Dostal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTawMgY9sg
- Cool little Modo to UE4 Character Tutorial
- CGMasterTraining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuaQ_ITeSnc
- Jump Pad with Blueprint
- ManiakGaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6wTdsMysjc
- 2D Side Scroller Blueprint
- Joakim Mellergard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSqlEjHVwYg
- Awesome Water Dripping Shader & VFX for UE4
- Andrew Talarico: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7x_RopEt4
- Attaching a light to the player
- GhillieSuitMan withJR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqb76OXSQSY
- How to make Grass for Unreal Engines
- Ethan Berlyn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bd7zgVjCW8
- Maya to UE4 Speed Modeling (really pretty music)
- Kazuhiko Nakamura Marina (中村匡彦): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogj_uRa2_Lg
- Basic and convenient function UE4 (I think, this is just google translate)
- MrzDynamite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM2oF6Xh6dc
- Exporting from Cinema 4D to UE4 (a personal fav)
- Raycar5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ws5Wh1L-zw
- Watch Dogs Hackable Camera in UE4
- GM_Dre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Ge83qzJQk
- Normal Double Side Door in Blueprint
- George Sokol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHMsubEpPq4
- Tessellation Icicles on objects (SUPER AWESOME)
- Adam Ostridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuC3ogOFUlo
- Holographic Shader in UDK
- Prea: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...m-in-blueprint
- Fantastic way to make an inventory using blueprints!
- Pepe thefrog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYVI5XYmoI&index=4&list=FLPL-VoQKofQjAUOJvIZ4-iA
- Emre Akpolat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRBpV6XVPoo&list=UUsa5WTL9c9PLUi1KvfNNPyg
- Spiral Materials!
UDK/Other Community Tutorials
Due to the awesome design choices of the Unreal build team, a lot of its features are similar to those in other programs, meaning that a lot of tutorials not designed specifically around UE4 can still be useful to the UE4 community. UDK tutorials are the best, as the material editor and Cascade editor are both very similar and don’t require much guesswork. Other programs, however, can at least be conceptually helpful in the creation of UE4 content.
- Particle FX Tutorial
- Might be an FX tutorial?
- Unity 4 Particle
- UDK Rain Splash
- UDK Explosion breakdown
- UDK Explosion particle fx with apex physics particle
- Energy Beam
- Unity 3d particle system
- Unity 3d particle fx dust
- Unity 3d particle fx water fountain
- Unity 3d particle fx camp fire
- THIS IS THE MOST PRECIOUS AND VALUABLE THING I PASS TO ALL YOU VFX MAKERS! I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SINGLE TUTORIAL COVERING EVEN A SINGLE PART OF THE MAKING OF THIS TYPE OF EFFECT, LET ALONE A FULL COVERAGE OF SUCH. Only issue I have with it is that it is not in English. This is a tutorial for a stylized mmo style weapon swing effect, the type you put onto a mesh, rather than a weapon trail. I pass this on to you in the hopes that you will both learn from it, and take what you learn and pass that on to others (like me). The best outcome, in my eyes, would be for people to make more tutorials on how to do this type of thing (preferably in english) and, better yet, how to implement such FX into UE4. I am not demanding all of this, but I am sincerely requesting that you all take this into consideration when you watch this tutorial.
- Unity 3D falling leaves
- Particle Designer for unity
- Unity FX light burst
- Unity Stylized Smoke
- Smoke Sprite in After Effects
- Unity Toon Explosion FX
- 2D Animation Explosion FX
- More 2D Explosion
- Yet More 2D Explosion
- 2D Fire Animation
- 2D FX Animation
- UDK Particles
- Super Unity Particles
- World Position Offset
- UDK Skyrim Wheel Puzzle SO AWESOME
- Seamless Assets for Unity
- UDK Particles
- UDK Fluid
- UDK Fire
- FumeFX to UDK
- UDK Heatwave and Ember Materials
- UDK Material Earth/Planet
- UDK Lightning Particle
- UDK Snow
- UDK Laser Particle
- UDK Flow Mapz
- UDK Masterclass
- Combine Normal Maps with Photoshop
- Shiness: a game being made in UE4 that looks pretty rad
- Daniel Jacob: Cool UT maps
- Grant McFarlane: Cool Tank
- Chong Lee: Another cool UT map
- Siebencorgie: lol…. Just lol
- Nicholas Williams: A very impressive student project in UE4
- MrLider0002: Ooh, a gravity gun
- Руслан Азанов: Walls within walls…
- Martin Huber: definitely a… unique concept
- FreetimeCoder: Sliced Volume Renderer!!!! Adventurous!
- Jaboobins: UDK goodies
- Dan’s CG Animation and VFX: cool stuff bruh
- Iir3v: snow! Reel! VFX!
- Handkor: Boats! Boxes! Water!
- Atomic Outlaw Gaming: Caffine – such awesomeness as only a child can experience
- LeoCurtss: Save rob! Do it now!
- PortalShade: Dem jump moves!
- Idera13: Save me link! Temple of light!
- Andrzej Koloska: Cool stuffz!
- Koh SX: How modern!
- David Miranda: Make a splash!
- Norman3D: Displace dat world!
- Anthony Fariello: Dem Decals!
- CummiB: Paintball! Yay!
- FreetimeCoder: Aaaah! Spider!
- Shatogtar: Dub wub wub!
- Doug Shilts: Da copperz!
- Eric Kimberly: A Real good Time
- Marco Parisi: Mirrors!
- UDK Skyrim VFX: Many part series. Very good
- Bruno Brito: Oooh, soccer!
- Loic Canales: Mmmmm, Metro!
- Arcanum Games: Get Cover!
- MulleDK19: Keypaaaaaad
- Piro MANIAC: Water + Gravity
- Kenshihh: WHY IS THIS NOT A THING!
- Evenios: Oh hey, a cathedral
- Dougem Medhen: I like it
- Savage Hamzter: all da golds
- Douglas Regis: Timely Temples
- Acatalept: Sung to sleep
- Afterall: Quick Mart?
- UDK Matt: we need more of this
- Oleg Menyuk: dem physics
- Kevin Holbrook: My hat off to you sir
- Michael Wadelin: Gravity is something we need
- Titus *****: Opera, we need it…. IN SPACE
- Justin Cook: No cel can contain this!
- Diegargon: all the inventories
- JetL33t: Jaw drops
- Epic Games Japan: Yay Japan! (not sure if tutorial)
- Chris Morris: Visualize!
- Deviljerome: Architecture!
- GameTrailers: Not really showcase…. But so much lol
- Fabrice Piquet: Freeze dat time
- Daniel Thompson: Ascending Mages
- NVIDIADeveloper: Dem CCPs
- Seujose: Clothes!
- MeowzieNyan: All of the skillz
- SuperXCM: simple fun
- KevinLGittens: Archers!
- Alejo Silos Leal: Man of Pac?
- Funnyshelob: A new frontier in (UE4) Gaming!
- Ryan Smith: Hot Lava!
- WiNt: Feel inspired!
- Ignacio J Guajardo: All of the win
- Patrick Tran: More inspired!
- Nick Cordova: reeling demo
- Kazenokizu24: Reel
- Everett Gunther: Demo
- Funnyshelob: Fwa?
- Nopal3D: all of the goodz
- Z-Enzyme: feel the groove
- Oskar Swierad: All oiled up
- Djo9999: village life
- Arturo Gonzalez Pola: godly war
- Raynaron: Horse
- Mozidesigner: speedy
- Zooch: an amazing showcase of the building of a game
- Jeremy Choo: AI at its finest
- Arnage: Ludum Dare Jam game
- Kedamazigoku: Skies of The Last of Us
- Jonas Tykesson: Positive and Negative space Map Theory
- Ulrich Thummler: Scroll down to see his long post about grass magic
- PINTEREST: a good place to look for vfx… who knew?
- Rudo Resurrection: a cool steam green lit game in production
- BrUnO XaVIeR: lasers and gravity hands? I think so!
- Gabriel Regis: I love boxhead!
Sites/Tools for UE4 that are becoming Cheap
- $20 a month
- Yea, this toolset is pretty much the solution to any and all problems you might run into trying to make characters react dynamically to the world around them. Need to point your bow at a monster? Easy. Want your ogre to punch your character in the face, and not the air near his head? Simple.
- Oh, and don’t forget, they have a ton of how to tutorials on their youtube channel.
- Coherent UI
- Oh wow, a way to make super awesome HUD elements and such. And whats more, its cheaper per month than UE4 itself is. What is this madness? Though, you might want to brush up on your html5 skillz… I think?
- Oh, they also have youtube tutorials!
- Pretty much the best program in existence (my opinion) for texturing assets is the Quixel Suite, which goes into open beta June 9. And by open beta, I mean free for everyone, even if you don’t pre purchase. For those who do want to purchase the Quixel Suite, if you pre purchase, you get tons more included textures to play with during the open beta, so you better hurry! And, all of the pricing is super cheap. For those who just want to play around and not sell assets you make with this, Academic is $50. Wanna sell individual assets you make with this online? Hobby/Freelance is $99. Wanna make a game with these goods with a couple of friends? Indie is $250. All in all, quite the cheap setup, especially if you want to test it out first. Oh, and best yet, there will be UE4 integration, though to what degree is still unknown.
- Do you like trees? Of course you do! So, in less than a month, you should go and get the awesome speedtree program that will allow you to make amazing trees to put into your games! Either next week or the week after, speedtree is going to be a guest on the UE4 Twitch livestream and they will be talking about their integration with UE4 as well as their new CHEAP pricing plan for all us indie gamers. Huzzah!
Websites to know
- • Terry Matthes: 3D Production Artist
- Here is a pretty good going through of an Icy Material on this guy’s site, but don’t forget to check out the other stuff he has on there, its all pretty awesome stuff.
- • Brandon Orden: 3D Environment Artist
- This guy’s canyon scene is pretty much the definition of sexy, and is definitely a location I would love to see in any/every game
- Again, don’t forget to check out his other stuff
- • Phill Johnson
- An amazing tutorial on creating and using flow maps. Pretty much the bees knees of awesome tutorial making right here.
- Unfortunately, there is only one tutorial and some of the other links are broken, but the guy is to be praised nonetheless!
- • ImbueFX
- Tons of really long and in depth tutorials on how to do stuff in UDK (and thus in UE4). Fluid Explosions? Fire? Ice? Yea, this site has it all!
- Oh, and a good number of them are free for anyone.
- • Lessons.darren.mckinsey
- Here is a site with tons of tutorials covering pretty much every part of UDK goodness, and will provide you with a good foot up the ladder for learning UE4
- • 3DBuzz
- A site with tons of tutorials for purchase, relating to all sorts of game engines, including cryengine, unity, udk, and others, as well as other programs, such as many of the adobe products.
- But don’t stop looking there, the forums are split into different sections, and the unreal dedicated section is full of good info to learn.
- • Anton Migulko
- Well, here is the location that you are going to leave your jaw for a while, cuz you will forget to pick it back up off the floor for a couple hours due to the magnificence you will see here.
- This guy puts nature to shame with his amazing UDK Realtime Antarctic recreation. LOOK AT THOSE RAPIDS/WATERFALLS (he gives a sentence on how he does it, but I’d give a golden sticker to anyone who figures it out and makes a slightly more detailed tutorial on the matter.
- • Eat 3D
- Here is a site with tons and tons of training, both free and for purchase, as well as a great forum full of gems of knowledge just waiting to be discovered.
- Oh, and every Friday, they release a new free video just for funziez
- • Digital Tutors
- This site has tutorials for every program ever made ever, and then some. They are beginning to add tutorials for UE4 as well, which is super awesome. For a reasonable monthly fee, you get access to everything.
- Oh, and don’t forget to check out their forums, those are pretty rad as well.
- • Game Dev Market
- This brand new site is pretty much the community’s response to wanting a marketplace before we have a market place.
- Already, it has tons of awesome stuff, all for super cheap. AND, you can put your stuff up for sale there really easily. A great creation of the community, for the community.
- • Kunal Luthra: Technical Artist
- Yea, this guys is AMAZING with shaders. Someone here needs to recreate them and post tuts, lots and lots of tuts.
- • 3dmotive
- This site has some awesome tuts on a lot of things, but what are the best ones, I think, are the beginner material and cascade UDK tutorials. I’m currently watching those and am learning tons.
- Oh, and it’s a really cheap monthly subscription as well.
- • Nosoapradio
- Amazing site for free music for commercial use. I personally like the 2nd ballad.
- Unfortunately, the site seems to be down atm, but keep checking back to it because it is worth the wait.
- • AI and MMOs – The Controversy
- A good discussion on the use of AI in games. A little ranty, but a good read nonetheless.
- • Intrinsic Algorithm
- Here is a very fascinating snippit about how wolf pack hunting can teach us about how to make better AI. Really, I hope you all make some awesome game wolf packs to show off this nifty discovery!
- • Pieter Mans
- Technical stuff relating to making better use of UE4 and just being smarter in general. If you find this illuminating, I tip my hat to you.
- • Klemen Lozar’s Online Portfolio
- This guy is a beast at making awesome looking fx. Take a few minutes to gander at what he has accomplished and feel inspired to surpass him!
- • Polycount Forum
- Pretty amazing forum here, anything you want to know more about for game stuff, its probably in here in spades. I find myself always being directed back here for all of my searches.
- • Unity 3D forum
- Cool way to make stylized textures on an even more interesting forum. Wander through here at your leisure and find what gems you may.
- • Color Look-up Tables
- Not sure how to describe them, but you want them if you want your game to look pretty. Look em up!
- • Steve McAuley
- This guy has got some super knowledge that must be passed on. Read it, absorb it, love it, pass it on. Dismissed.
- • Master of Nuthin
- OMG, omg, o. m. g. Give this guy a medal. Then tie him to a chair and get him to tell us how he made all this goodness. Especially love the skies.
- • Tom Looman: Game & Tools Programmer
- This guy…. Is brilliant. Give him a cookie. Learn his works. Its worth it.
- • Christoffer Radsby
- If you ever thought your favorite anime show would look awesome as an environment, well, it probably would because this guy has skillfully recreated Naruto as just that, and it is amazing beyond compare. Yup.
- • Quixel Forum
- Keep a watch here because this site likes to add some amazing artists to their Highlights section.
- • Pixologic
- A super awesome explanation of how the rocks surfaces of the movie Immortal, were created. Read it. Read it naow.
- • Marmoset Toolbag 2
- The first site I came across when I decided to learn wtf PBR was. Quite informative, though somewhat ‘wall of text’-ish at times.
- • PBR explanation
- The TRUE wall of text. Still, quite informative if you have eyes of steel.
- • Making Games
- More PBR goodness.
- • Epic Community Forum
- Oh hey, a flamethrower. The epic forums, good but I feel might be going out of style with our awesome new UE4 forums. Who knows.
- • Create Games From Scratch
- A super awesome blog blow by blow of someone creating a game in UE4, I think. I believe it was started by someone in the forums currently.
- • Tech-artists
- Hey, pretty nifty site to learn stuff about vfx and things. Do it. Go there. Its fun.
- • Unreal Development Kit: An Introduction
- Oh hey, udk tutorials. And vfx knowledge. Fancy how those can come in handy when you need em.
- • Art of UAT
- Go here, follow the links, learn lots, get happy. Simple as that.
- • Julio Juarez: 3D Brushwork.com
- A cool PDF giving some good instruction on how to go about making a skydome. Love it, learn it, become a better artist!
- • Gamasutra: Creating Modular Game Art for Fast Level Design
- A brilliant little discussion about some very important things to keep in mind when making game art that you want to be able to use again and again for modular levels. One of the best modeling reads I’ve had in a long time.
- • World of Level Design
- Brilliant site full of tutorials all based around learning the concepts of level designing in order to build the best maps possible and avoiding common screw ups.
- • Gamekak Unity Asset
- A pretty awesome little site with some awesome unity assets to draw inspiration from.
- • CGJoy
- This is a…. Chinese site, I believe? I can’t read anything on it, and you need to make an account to access anything more than a thumbnail of each of the posts, but I believe that it is a treasure trove of learning that we all need to explore. Later on this week, I am going to try and create an account and see what all I can draw from this awesome looking community, so stay tuned!
- Oh, and if anyone CAN speak whatever language this site is in, and feels generous enough to direct us all in the right direction, I would be greatful.
- • Tuts Plus
- A good read for anyone who wants to make indie games but might not have the capital to see it through.
- • Unity Asset Store
- Yea, unity, but hey, its got awesome stuff that you can gawk at.
- • Popcorn FX
- Here is another cool site with fun stuff to gawk at.
- • Soul Innovation
- I see some English here, and I see some stuff that isn’t English. Mixed in with both are a bunch of cool FX. Enjoy.
- • Matchlock
- Oh hey, cool particles bro. Check em all out, and ignore all the bits that you can’t read (if you only speak English like me).
- • Allegorithmic Substance
- A pretty sweet site selling pretty sweet software for, pretty much, automatic texturing of objects. I would have put this in the above section for stuff that is going cheap for/with UE4, but the cheapest is still like $200, and that, in my opinion, is a bit more than hobby money can provide.
Tons of particle effects
Yea, I don’t really have words to describe the images that are passing before my eyes, so I’ll just name the people who post them to the internets
- Dragon Nest FX:
- Dark Matter Effect:
- Extreme FX
- Light Column FX
- Torchlight VFX
- Torchlight II VFX
- Uummm, Chinese characters describing fx?
- Ony T FX….
- More FX!!
- Bloodmage FX
- Howgame2006 FX – This guy has every type of FX you could think of, just check his vids
- Ree Lai FX
- Kofno1k FX
- TAZOist FX
- CGJoy FX
- Tyler Wissler FX
- 4GamerMovie FX
- Tolga Kacar FX
- Michael Glover FX
- Photon Blasting Service FX
- Kentika378 FX
- Eric Greenlief FX
- Shimiskater4 FX
- Scott McCall
- Matchlocker FX (a good number here too)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdRt...fQjAUOJvIZ4-iA THIS IS GOLD RIGHT HERE
- UG0938 FX
- Takuton FX
- NOT ENGLISH STUFFZ
- MORE NOT ENGLISH STUFFZ
- Takenobutomita FX
- Kunal Luthra FX Someone Learn this guy’s skillz and teach me, please!
- Moonpod FX
- Jaredbud FX
- iWaNNXXXX FX
- Fatih Gurdal FX
- John Carter FX
- Iveponka FX
- Maxb721 FX
- Valdis Matas FX
- MelvinLaso FX
- Unluck Software FX
- Olivier De Cafmeyer
- Lurch0016 FX
- Marica Sucurro FX
- T97301068 this guy has some rad stuff too
- Definitely not English FX
- Ryan Hoss FX
- FXVilleInc FX
- Expendablejoe FX
- John Master Lee FX
- TheSketchist FX
- Poly Seed FX
- Manafikk FX
- Gilsu Lee FX
- Forkparticle FX
- Brofresco LoL FX
- Blondiemc9 FX
- Alivender FX
- AppliedCinematics FX
- JinHo Yang FX
- Kasra Kalami FX
- Saishy FX
- Not English again FX
- Chaley18 FX
- BiruRyu87 FX
- David Shaver FX
- Mariomguy FX
- Klemen Lozar FX
- Chris Haga Fx
- Torchlight 2 Mod FX