Particles => Fade IN/OUT ; Not facing Camera

Hi Guys!

I´ve started to learn Particles.
So at the moment i stuck @ Fade In and Fade Outs and i also dont want that the Particle Effect faces the camera when rotating.

I have this Circle which rotates.
I want that he fades IN from transparent to visible in maybe 0.3 seconds, then lives maye 0.5 seconds, and in this 0.5 seconds he should also start to fade out to completely transparent.
At the moment im using Color Over Life, but i cant get “nice” fades.

How can i make a nice, fast but smooth fade in and fade out for my particle?

Also how to setup the Particlesystem that the particle doesnt faces the camera when rotating. I want it to be on one fixed place without rotating or facing auto. the camera. The Circle Material is Two Sided so that it can be visible from all Sides.
I have tried different Screen Alignments also i tried to lock all axis (Orientation -> Lock Axis) but he still faces the camera.

Can someone help?

Thank You,
Gazu

Edit:
I think for the Color Over Life i need 3 Elements -> Black , Blue, Black. But that doesnt work.
So the FadeIn doesnt work.

lock axis works here even with the aligment set to camera facing, but you need to define an axis to which to lock it to.
concerning the fade - i’d consider using alpha instead of color for the fade - just for better control as to whats happening when. and having it go from 0 to 1 to 0 again should do what you need. it is important to note that the In Val represents the relative position on the timeline compared to the particles lifetime, not actual seconds or frames. if you don’t get a “nice” transition you should look into changing the interp mode to something other than linear and quite possibly refine it even further in the curve editor.

Lock Axis works but actually i need to align the Circle to a Static Mesh i have. Is that possible?
Because when i lock the Axis, rotating is not possible in the 3D View. So i cant align the Circle to a Mesh i have. I can only move the Particle to the Mesh, but the Direction doesnt fit.

Can you explain in Detail what you mean to use Alpha?
The Texture of the Circle is a White Circle with Black Background, so i can use it as Alpha,too.
But where, what, how? :smiley:

Have i to change the Material?

Thx for the help! :wink:

you will have to check “use local space” in the required module if you want to have the locked orientation particle rotate with the particle system.

if you want to use the alpha over life functionality you will have to connect the alpha channel(bottom one) of the particle color node in the material to your material. there are several possible approachs on how to connect everything together but currently you are doing slightly redundant things. you don’t need to multiply the color with the shape if you are already limiting the displayed pixels through the opacity.
i would recommend to multiply the particle color alpha with the mask and feed that into opacity and plug the particle color rgb directly into emissive without multiplying it first.

once you have the particle alpha somehow affecting your material you can start using it to adjust the visiblity independently from the color.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107682595/Unreal/Screenshot%202015-07-15%2013.33.22.jpg

those values should give you the desired result assuming your particle life is 0.8