How to develop? Playstation/XBOX/PC/Mac/iOS/Android

I am sure this has been asked, but I can not find the exact answer I am looking for.

What is the DIFFERENCE in DEVELOPMENT for various systems?

I know I need licensing, that’s not what I am asking.

What I am asking, is, is it as simple as creating general content using UE4 on a Intel Based PC, and then just exporting it out to various systems? Can I just build my game, then at the end decide I don’t want it just on the PC, I want it on Playstation and XBOX, and get a license and port it, or will I have to go back in and change code and other assets?

If there are any console specific assets, can I add them to my test now, then later buy a Sony Developers License and then export out to PS? i.e. Start development now for PC, then add a few pre-made assets, like console controller code towards the end of development, or should I have everything now?

To help clarify a bit more, I will explain my situation. My kids and I are learning game development using UE4. We are coming around nicely and want to start an “official” project to give out to their friends. No one has asked yet; but soon someone is going to ask, “Hey can I play this on my PS3/PS4/XBOX/ETC”… I don’t want to get deep into the project and then have to scrap it because it doesn’t work on something other than a PC. So, what do I need to be prepared for console/mac/tablet development, if we choose that route?

I know that to receive console code access, I will need to contact the company we wish to develop for and register for access to their SDK. Then, we will need to email consoles@unrealengine.com and let them know that we have been approved. We will send them some information, so that they can verify us & this should not change the cost of our subscription.

Developer Registration Sites

Microsoft: Developing Games | Xbox and Windows

Sony: PlayStation® Official Site: Consoles, Games, Accessories & More

UE: Other licensing options - Unreal Engine

Basicaly, you just develop the game over UE4, and when you’re ready to deploy it on various platforms you just intergrate the SDK to the build. I assume that you know that you can’t have huge levels/details on mobile and that you can’t literaly deploy a console/desktop game to a mobile?

BTW when you apply to build your game for console platforms, you don’t get the SDK’s easily. Your project has to be a commercial project and not just for friends and family.

There’s some differences between the platforms as it applies to UE4, it’s mostly rendering and physics stuff. You can test mobile stuff now, since it’s already in the engine. As for consoles–for the most part things will be the same as developing for PC. Of course, the hardware has limits, so something on a high end PC might not run well enough on a console.

Just know however, that it’s not a simple matter to get a console development license, you have to prove that you’re capable of developing something for release. In your case, if you and your kids are just messing with game development and just want to try it out on console then they’re not going to give you a license because they want experienced developers to release games on their console.

Well, I guess I won’t hold out for a console license, but that doesn’t mean I won’t try. I good PC demo might help us out.