HoloLens runs Unity

Hey,

yesterday Microsoft announced that Unity will support development for the HoloLens. I really hope that Epic is trying to push Unreal into the HoloLens.

What do you guys think about it? Will we need to learn Unity if we want to develope games for the HoloLens?

BR!

Christian

PS.: Windows 10 apps or even universal apps would be nice too.

I’d rather be able to develop using the HoloLens than develop for it. Any games made for it will no doubt be gimmicky but being able to have your whole room covered in windows showing the editor views and code pages would be the best thing ever. The reign of alt tab is finally at an end.

Give it time, it will come!

That would be so . Imaging you could develope your particle effects just inside your real world.

I would rather not go back to Unity, I am really spoiled with working with UE4 now.:smiley:

I also really hope that UE4 will come to Hololens and maybe as already set even develop with it, but I guess that would be a nice to have feature.
But I am almost certain that Epic will do something with Hololens, considering the collaboration Epic an Microsoft has. Hopefully it will be confirmed soon, can’t wait for Hololens :slight_smile:

They already said they’re working with Microsoft to add hololens support to UE4

It’s not a big deal though yet, since Hololens isn’t coming out for a long time

Since I plan to develop apps for Hololens / AR, this is really making Unity seem attractive to me. I have to say as a brand new developer, that the waters are muddy at the moment. I’m concentrating on learning Maya for now because I’m a bit concerned about choosing the wrong engine and spending a bunch of time there only to find out I have to start over again elsewhere.

I hope we hear some news about UE4 support for Hololens, because the AR market is going to DWARF VR, and there is endless opportunity to find and monetize a niche there.

Wow holograms have become reality. Endless possibilities…

Real holograms don’t need googles to view them.

HoloLens reminds me of the whole fiction from the ‘Ready Player One’ novel :smiley:

Who cares about a big bulky holographic projectors when you can have shared experiences using simple glasses that are 100% mobile? Real holograms may eventually have their place in the world, but the interactivity, mobility and resolution of what can be done with AR glasses makes them look silly in my opinion. I hope we have both eventually.

Microsoft plans to release Hololens in the “Windows 10 timeframe”. That means during the lifecycle of Windows 10. We need to start developing apps ASAP, as this is going to be a huge world changing industry. They had a few hundred prototypes for people to try at Build this year, so the device is not that far off.

I don’t think they’re going to have development kits out there for a while, maybe at best by the end of the year, but from what I understand they still have some big technological problems to get by. Unless there’s some way to develop without the hardware then the support isn’t needed. Maybe when Windows 10 support comes out it might have something in there.

any News ? i must begin to dev… unreal (fav) or unity

What kind of news are you looking for? HoloLens is for UWP apps only and there was another thread about it here where the “official” reply seemed to be that there are no plans to support them for now.