TS TOOLS and ARCHINTERIOR Conversion

Hi All,

Just wanted to share this amazing tool created by Tom Shannon. Not sure if anyone is using but i tried to use it to convert a 3ds scene and it saved me TONS of time. Basically it automise the process of moving the meshes to (0,0,0) in 3ds max and exporting it into .fbx file.

The entire process of exporting -> importing -> placing the mesh took about 1 Hour plus.

http://www.tomshannon3d.com/2014/09/tstoolsv11.html

The rest of the time is just working on materials, and tweaking on the lighting.

Talking about tools, anyone has any idea to transfer vray materials straight into unreal without the need to recreate them in UE4?

Cheers!!!

I’ve heard about that tool. But to be honest, the pivot thing doesn’t bother me as much as mapping everything for the lightmass… This is by far the most time consuming and boring task for me right now.

There is no material converter yet. My tip is to create a good base material with all the parameters you need and then just instantiate it. Changing the diffuse, specular and normal maps plus minor parameter tweaks will be pretty much the only effort you’ll need to replicate everything fast.

Use steamroller script for unwrapping and flattening your uv maps for lightmass!

OMG dude thanks for the tip! The script works like a charm!
Link here

Dunno what I did wrong but I had 260 meshes selected in my 3ds max scene, then I used your script to export. Once in ue4, it imported 5700 meshes…took half the night to load/save lol.

Steamroller…nice find, could be a great time saver!!!

Did you get SteamRoller to work? I tested it on a simple chair, exported via TS tools and when I import into UE4 I get an invalid LightMap message (see pic)

After checking the UV map, I can see the texture-original UV map but no 2nd UV map? I guess this means Steamroller failed - but why?

Hi Heartlessphil,

Do you have grouped objects in 3ds max?

I think so yea. I guess everything needs to be ungrouped then?

I think this kind of mesh require more than a simple flatten mapping. Try pelting it.

Well the idea with stemroller was that you can unwrap all objects at once so unwrapping the individually defeats the purpose. Anyway, ALL objects end up with the invalid light-map message. Anyone got this problem or can suggest a fix?

Hi Heartlessphil,

Yes. If not it will create an object for each item in the grouped object.

Hardy

With respect to steam roller,

Can I just have a feel from the ground why would we unwrap the uvw map using a script as opposed to using the automatic unwrap when importing the fbx file. Is there a difference in both methods and what are the pros and cons?

Hardy

Nice attempt. Keep it up.

YES… it is a great tool for exporting assets as FBX from 3ds Max to UE4 :slight_smile:

I had tried it in an interior project, 2 months ago…

Still Images album
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.959092167467239.1073741836.850555781654212&type=3

Great Thanks to TOM SHANNON for sharing this nice helpful tool…
And Many thanks to hardyhutajaya for posting this topic… :slight_smile:

As I happen to know that there is a lot of People curently still using this script, I thought it prudent to post my personal edit update to TS_Tools that makes this script compatible with UE5:
(The script is quite nice since it is much “cleaner” than something like datasmith)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BUcg_4JdquOsbIEnp2iqb-YN8cDaEtA7/view?usp=sharing

1 Like