Camera not attaching to spring arm (Tutorial 12 of Blueprints series)

Hi,

I m following blueprints series and for the most part things are working well, but in tutorial 12 he drops the camera component into spring arm component and it pops back to the spring arm. In my case I do exactly the same, (Add component, then drag and drop on springarm) and i see that the camera got indented , AND I collapse spring arm component camera collapses with it too, BUT the camera itself does not get offset to the end of the springarm. The end result - when I play the camera is right inside the character.

Does anyone know why the camera did not attach to the arm in my case ?

Are you location settings all set 0 in the detail panel?

1 Like

You’re right ! It was set to 300 ! Changing it back to 0 works. Thanks !

I don’t recall setting this - is this a bug or caused by the order of how it was added or what ?

Never heard as a bug.

Delete them and re-add. see if you can replicate it.

Yup. Dupes. Here are three images:

1. Before deleting it - shows fixed version after your suggestion.
  2. After deleting and adding a new camera component. Right now it’s parented to the root (even though I select BoomCompoentn and click AddComponent it always adds to root first). At this , you can’t see in the image, but the location of the camera is 0,0,0
  3. After drag / drop into boom component. Gets parented correctly but position automatically switches to 300 X (which is identical to the springarm length btw)

1 Like

And , I didn’t notice right away but it also offsets Z value (I moved springarm slightly above his waist). It’s as if it inverses springarm settings so it can be back at 0,0,0 relative to root.

Mine does the same. I suppose it is compensation for the original 0/0/0 location.

Report it as a bug, or maybe a Admin might be able to be able tp help us why. You using 4.7?

Yup, just started with unreal 2 days ago, so the latest version - 4.7.3

Oh - and how do I report a bug ? What’s the procedure ?

UE4 answer hub, top of screen.

There is a guide for what to include.

Just tag as a bug in the drop down.

Good luck, it gets easier.

I would search Tesla on YouTube for some great quick tutorials.

Just submitted a bug… Thanks for the Tesla tip - I’ll take a look !

had this exact same issue in 4.7.6, so if its a bug, its IS still around.