Difference in Cooked, Packaged and Installed File Sizes

I’m just starting to learn about cooking and deploying from PC onto Android and currently quite alarmed at how much space is being used by a simple test map and how much that space increases as the project is packaged and installed on an Android device. There’s almost a 4x increase when going from Cooked on PC to installed on Android:

Cooked for Android (on PC) - 24 Meg
Packaged for Android (on PC) - 63 Meg (.obb & .apk files together)
Installed on Android - 92 Meg

Before I start digging further, I have a few questions:

I know that the Cooked on PC doesn’t include the engine itself, which is taken from the Epic Games folder elsewhere on my drive. But can that really account for 39 meg’s worth of content?

Has anyone got a good way of stripping out unused Engine resources from a project for cooking / packaging, then re-instating them after the cook / package?

What’s the contained in the .obb file and the apk file of a Packaged project?

I’m assuming that the Packaged for Android is compressed and that the increase in 29 meg in size is due to the file being uncompressed. Is there anything else known about this process?

Does Epic have any further plans for cooking optimizations or options? Or does the Unreal Frontend provide this?

I’ve just noticed a ‘Mobile Package Size’ Wishlist card in Performance on Trello. If anyone else here is having issues with cooking & package sizes then head there and vote that up :slight_smile:

check my answer here:

There are two folders you can remove everything you don’t need from (and the mobileresources folder) that will free up 15-20meg depending your which texture setting your exporting with. This should get your 63meg just under the magical google play store 50meg barrier :wink:

Thank you AB. Would you be able to confirm one thing, when you “delete” folders, are you deleting them from the Content Browser, from your HD in Windows Explorer or both?

I’m using windows explorer to delete - make sure to back them up somewhere first and and copy them back before you open / start the editor again