[Resolved] Building & Playing on Android in 4.7 Issue

Updated our main project to 4.7 this morning and immediately built for Android. Instantly started getting crashes on the device when loading a level. We’re developing solely for nVidia Shield.

Went through the whole changelist for 4.7, and five people have spent 8 hours trying to decipher the issue today. We’ve had zero luck, but have stumbled upon this AnswerHub post and Forum Thread, which indicates this was a known issue prior to 4.7’s compiled release.

Basically, Android Development for us in 4.7 is 100% broken, and I suspect for a lot of other developers too. Posting this here as opposed to AnswerHub as more people will be able to find it. Other users developing for PC platform are also reporting occasional breakages, UMG rendering issues and more issues. Thankfully we’re all using Source Control so we can revert, but I feel for anybody who isn’t (kinda silly in this day and ago though).

Luckily for me I’m an artist (today at least), so it’s not a huge deal to me, but I’m surrounded by a lot of very teasy programmers today. Using the GitHub build isn’t really an option for us, so how soon can we expect a hotfix? I know all the issues that come with Engine Development and we should expect bugs etc, but this is pretty huge.

Bump - Still no feedback for this, been two hot-fixes since and there’s no change!

Hey TheJamsh,

Sorry to hear about the error that you have been seeing. If you have not already done so, would you be able to create an AnswerHub post about this issue. If you could also include any logs (Build, Monitor, etc.) that may help to decipher this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. Be sure to link that post here as well so that I may be able to further investigate.

Any additional information would be beneficial as well.

As for that AnswerHub link that you have provided in your response, that bug has been resolved in the 4.7 release build. It is possible that it still may be occurring but I would like to look at you logs before opening that report back up.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hey Sean, I’ll post this on Answerhub now.

Unfortunately, we get no logs at all. It just crashes on load and Visual Studio doesn’t report any odd behaviour. The only change was a project upgrade to 4.7.

Okay, I’ve made what I believe is a fairly comprehensive report on Answerhub. (I’m relaying this info from our programmer cus I’m the only one who files bug reports :p)

Thank you for posting on the AnswerHub TheJamsh. I will begin investigating shortly.

Hi Sean,

I’m gonna kill someone! Turns out somebody DID in fact change some code since android builds, and one of our asserts was being hit because of it. We never tested the Android build running between PC’s and it only happened on Clients, so now we know what the issue is, and all is resolved. When testing on PC we got a callstack from the Assert, but not on the Android tablet.

For some reason I haven’t got my Mod powers on Answerhub yet so can’t mark the issue resolved, feel free to mark it! Last time I relay something from programmers :wink: