User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Unreal Dev Grants

UE Community Manager

Introducing Unreal Dev Grants

I am extremely happy to announce a new program that Epic has kicked off, Unreal Dev Grants. Unreal Dev grants is another way Epic is giving back to the development community and rewarding outstanding projects centered around Unreal Engine 4. Read Tim's blog post on the subject here.

From the website.

WHAT ARE UNREAL DEV GRANTS?

Epic has created a $5,000,000 development fund to provide financial grants to innovative projects built in and around Unreal Engine 4.
    Awards range from $5,000 to $50,000, and there are no strings attached: you continue to own your IP, are free to publish however you wish, and can use the grant funds without any restrictions or obligations to Epic.

WHY WOULD WE GIVE AWAY FREE MONEY?
    Simply put, we succeed when you succeed. Unreal Dev Grants can give you the boost you need to take your project beyond working prototype. Epic wants to help you focus more on creation and worry less about keeping the lights on.

WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
    ANYONE MAKING COOL THINGS WITH UE4
    We like games, of course, but we also want to see animated features, architectural visualizations, Marketplace content, mods- anything that will make us say "Whoa." Please send us as much as you can, and working prototypes are best. If you're only at the design doc or scriptwriting stage, keep going.

STUDENTS AND EDUCATORS
    We'd love to see class projects, engine extentions, curricula, tutorials, or any other creative or innovative work related to UE4 and education.

CROWDSOURCING FUNDRAISERS
    If you're using any of the crowdsourcing sites like Kickstarter or Indie Go-go, don't worry, you can still apply for an Unreal Dev Grant. When both work out, you'll be that much further along.

I'M IN! WHAT'S NEXT?
    Head over to the Unreal Dev Grants page and tell us about your project. Send us videos, links, and any other info you think will help us see why you and your project are awesome. Remember, things in the design or idea phase are still too early, and working prototypes are best.

Feel free to discuss the program with other Unreal Engine developers here.

F.A.Q.s! (and growing!)

Is there a deadline for submission?
    The deadline for submission is directly dependent on the funds remaining in the program. At this point, there is no deadline.

Is this limited to just U.S. Developers?
    No! If we can get funds to your country, you are eligible.

Can I apply for more than one project?
    Absolutely. If you're making more than one stellar Unreal Engine product, we certainly want to know about it.

Can I apply more than once for the same project?
    Sure thing. Don't think of Unreal Dev Grants as a competition, though spamming us probably isn't the best idea either

Does it have to be a game?
    Absolutely not. Anything in the engine or relating to the engine is eligible.

So it doesn't even have to be a digital product built in the engine?
    Correct. Many ways exist to build something incredible in the Unreal Engine universe. Doing classes, books, etc.? Sounds awesome!

Do I have to be a legal business to receive an Unreal Dev Grant?
    No. Individuals are eligible.

Do I have to pay the money back at a later date?
    Absolutely not. This is not an investment on Epic's part or a loan - This is our way to give back to the incredible community and reward excellence. No strings attached means no strings attached

Will single developer teams be treated differently than AAA studios?
    We strive for fairness and treat every project equally, regardless of who you are.

When will I hear back from Epic? What can I expect?
    With the overwhelming number of applications we receive each day, we simply cannot respond directly to each and every submission for Unreal Dev Grants. If we choose your project for an Unreal Dev Grant or If we require more information, you’ll certainly be hearing from us!

Is my non-UE4 project eligible?
    The Unreal Dev Grants are only for Unreal Engine 4 related products and projects. If your project is built in another engine or toolset, it will need to be moved to Unreal Engine before it will be eligible for an Unreal Dev Grant.
    Last edited by Chance Ivey; 06-02-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    Twitter [@iveytron + @UnrealEngine] YouTube [/unrealengine] Twitch [/unrealengine]

This is fantastic news. I love that you guys are so willing to bet on the indie community.

Will we get a confirmation that our submission was received? I received a note about my application being too long for its Trello card (seems I was verbose). I sent a follow-up with a link to a google doc; I'm wary of spamming you guys.

Thanks again for this incredible opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by piinecone View Post
    I received a note about my application being too long for its Trello card (seems I was verbose).
    I didn't even get a Trello email I hope that they at least received my application! I hope that they enjoyed the lengthy read on my educational stuff and how I want to continue to serve the community
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

UE Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by piinecone View Post
    This is fantastic news. I love that you guys are so willing to bet on the indie community.

Will we get a confirmation that our submission was received? I received a note about my application being too long for its Trello card (seems I was verbose). I sent a follow-up with a link to a google doc; I'm wary of spamming you guys.

Thanks again for this incredible opportunity.
    This was an error on our end, disregard the Trello note

We're still working through the details for responses for all of the submissions (I've got yours, Kitatus ), stay tuned for more info!
    Twitter [@iveytron + @UnrealEngine] YouTube [/unrealengine] Twitch [/unrealengine]

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Ivey View Post

We're still working through the details for responses for all of the submissions (I've got yours, Kitatus ), stay tuned for more info!
    Woo boy! Cheers Chance
    KITATUS

This is awesome news! Is there any deadline / set duration for this project? Or is it basically "as long as the money lasts"?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Someone needs to make a mario kart type game for html5 with multiplayer support.... Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMDAC View Post
    Someone needs to make a mario kart type game for html5 with multiplayer support.... Just sayin.
    Already had this in mind for a future project, but that's a story for another day
    KITATUS

This campaign has spread out to the whole internet. I suspect Epic will receive a million emails, even from the kids working on their first Flash games

Wow! How neat is that?

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
    I suspect Epic will receive a million emails, even from the kids working on their first Flash games
    Nah, Just a million from me
    KITATUS

Quote Originally Posted by RAMDAC View Post
    It's not HTML5 (yet), but it is multiplayer and definitely inspired by mario kart:

This is amazing! We're making the jump to lightspeed on this one!

Loving it! One of our team members will see you at GDC

Talking For freedom of imagination!

Submitted one of our shorter term products (plugin) before the Twitch Broadcast went live and we are eagerly awaiting a reply.

This announcement has also been a real motivation booster for us and we look forward to putting in a submission for a larger grant once our game related project has come together to a state that we are happy with for a tech demo worthy showcase to Epic Games and soon after the public at large

To Epic Games: You're truly putting emphasis on the word epic in the dictionary once again (thumbsup)

To the community: I very much look forward to seeing what my fellow members of this great community can create when the shackles of debt, publishers, investors, etc. are no longer an issue for you to be truly creative with your craft in the early stages of creation. Because outside forces should never play a factor into the direction of your vision until it can stand on its two feet with a growing community behind it

Regards,
    Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
    Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Alright, my project will be ready for application in 3 months. It will be too late then? ^^ Hope the budget pool won't be drained really fast.
    Last edited by sarfios; 02-23-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Is there a deadline for submission? We're working on something and should have a prototype ready in about 3 weeks. Is it OK or should I rather sent something we have now?
    Proud member of iNFINITE Production - VR and hi-tech development studio (sometimes) available for hire.

UE Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ENiKS View Post
    Is there a deadline for submission? We're working on something and should have a prototype ready in about 3 weeks. Is it OK or should I rather sent something we have now?
    No deadline

This kind of initiative is just amazing, as if the engine itself wasn't enough as it is right now.

Great work guys

For a project that mostly needs art resources, how far along should it be? I know "working prototype" is mentioned, I'm just wondering how far along it needs to be? Is it enough if the general idea of the game and gameplay is apparent, or should it be basically full-beta minus assets?

Quote Originally Posted by n00854180t View Post
    For a project that mostly needs art resources, how far along should it be? I know "working prototype" is mentioned, I'm just wondering how far along it needs to be? Is it enough if the general idea of the game and gameplay is apparent, or should it be basically full-beta minus assets?
    This was answered in the Stream: As long as the unique, wow-factor shines through, it doesn't matter. It could be a prototype or ready for release, But as long as it's got that "Oh my, What an awesome project!" vibe, then it should do just fine
    KITATUS

My current U4 project is all dandy with everything but programming. But Blue-prints are much easier for me than c++. Its a great idea to have this system EPIC! Kudos, only just found out about it.

I wish this was around when i went through 2 crowd funding campaigns and ended up making an entire game by myself in UDK. My current project in U4 is coming along awesome, but I am not lucky enough to get even 1 dollar towards my project. After using unreal 2 editor for years, then UDK for years with no - little help, Now into U4 with no help, I think I am destined release my games with blood and sweat But some funding would go a long way for polish and marketing

Infiltrator
    Now, that's what I call a partnership!

One question though.

For submission is it acceptable to use Epic content or assets purchased on marketplace to make the prototype feel like a more complete product?

Cheers!

@Kitasus - Awesome, good to know! Thanks.

So I have a question about the Dev Grants: I would like to know if the 5.000 USD are the minimum or if it could be lower? Say I only apply for 500-1000 USD because this is what is needed, would this disqualify the project/idea/etc.?

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFxGuy View Post
    So I have a question about the Dev Grants: I would like to know if the 5.000 USD are the minimum or if it could be lower? Say I only apply for 500-1000 USD because this is what is needed, would this disqualify the project/idea/etc.?
    Most grants will be in the $5000-$50,000 range, but we would definitely consider other amounts for efforts that were really cool but very small in scope.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFxGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
    Most grants will be in the $5000-$50,000 range, but we would definitely consider other amounts for efforts that were really cool but very small in scope.
    That is good news for us as the grant we applied for our plugin we asked for between $2,500 to $5,000, though honestly $5,000 is probably a bit overkill and we only offered a range between the two prices in our proposal due to that very question asked above.
    Regards,
    Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
    Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

This is just awesome! Do you will post rough guidelines on the submission itself? For example, how should I submit a working prototype, is it ok to give you just access to a private FTP?

I guess less text and more cookies is quite more attractive

Visionary
    Edit: Never mind.
    Last edited by SE_JonF; 02-27-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Should be 100k.. 'cause of reasons ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Visionary
    Hey Chance, would you be able to let me know if you guys received my application? I sent it out today. I've had bad luck with Epic not receiving my messages before as I'm sure you are aware. =P Would give me peace of mind, and also any ETA on how long we should expect to hear back as well as more details? Thanks! =)

Infiltrator
    Same for me, no reception receipt for my mail. Not sure my submission have not been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof View Post
    Same for me, no reception receipt for my mail. Not sure my submission have not been lost.
    You won' receive confirmation yet; I don't think anyone has. I was lucky and got a confirmation from Chance in this thread but have patience! - There's a lot of submissions to go through and we should hear more at / just after GDC :>
    KITATUS

Visionary
    I figured there may not be a confirmation, but I've had the worst luck imaginable with Epic not receiving my emails. I saw Chance respond to you, so I figured I'd give it a shot. =P

I've got a confirmation mail with a support number code attached. But I've sent my submission in first 10 minutes after they've made that email public.

The confirmation says that I would be contacted in 48 hours, but that is not the case;
    I imagine they've got sooo many emails since then that the confirmation system stopped working and they simply are not planning to hit back on anyone at least before GDC ends.
    No kidding, the whole internet was talking about this, there must be hundreds of thousands of submissions mainly from people that do not use Unreal Engine at all and are simply trying to hit jackpot. I've seen tons of Unity users stating that they submitted their Unity game, while having zero experience with UE4 as well as flash developers.
    Yeah... Money talks.

Visionary
    I would imagine there would be a way to filter the messages by accounts associated with a UE4 account perhaps?

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KitatusStudios View Post
    You won' receive confirmation yet; I don't think anyone has. I was lucky and got a confirmation from Chance in this thread but have patience! - There's a lot of submissions to go through and we should hear more at / just after GDC :>
    I know they might have received lot of mails. But a simple mail confirmation (or automatic message) would be appreciated. This might avoid wondering is any spam filter have trashed the mails.
    Last edited by Kristof; 02-27-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SE_JonF View Post
    I would imagine there would be a way to filter the messages by accounts associated with a UE4 account perhaps?
    I guess that is irrelevant for Epic's plans. Their focus on doing this DevGrant program is to boost the ratio of projects being shipped. Thus they want to make sure that every potential success UE4 has under its belts won't be buried because of lack of investment; if there's not enough potential success titles already in development they could consider funding teams to port their projects from competing engines as well.

Why do that? well, that's how publishers make their money. They make sure potential successes hit the market.
    If a UE4 indie game, selling around $20USD, hits the 1 million mark copies sold, that is close to 1 million dollars Epic gets from that 5% deal. From the gigantic amount of games they are about to help funding, they need less than 10 annual successes to have all that granted money back and rise reputation of their indie program to the stars.

UE Community Manager
    Hey All, chiming in to answer some questions
    Hey Chance, would you be able to let me know if you guys received my application? I sent it out today. I've had bad luck with Epic not receiving my messages before as I'm sure you are aware. =P Would give me peace of mind, and also any ETA on how long we should expect to hear back as well as more details? Thanks! =)
    We're still working through the response process - rest assured, we're receiving everyone's applications

The confirmation says that I would be contacted in 48 hours, but that is not the case;
    This should not be happening, Bruno. Can you shoot me over what this looks like, who it was from, and the support number? It could be possibly from something unrelated.

I imagine they've got sooo many emails since then that the confirmation system stopped working and they simply are not planning to hit back on anyone at least before GDC ends.
    No kidding, the whole internet was talking about this, there must be hundreds of thousands of submissions mainly from people that do not use Unreal Engine at all and are simply trying to hit jackpot.
    We haven't been able to reach out to anyone quite yet and don't have any plans to do so until post GDC. Rest assured though, the processes are being put in place to better communicate with everyone

This isn't really of a concern of ours, especially since people typically have more than one email address, and chasing down which is associated with their account isn't aways the easiest thing. Also, the grants can even be for Unreal Engine related items like trainings, curriculum, or other non-digital products built in engine

I know they might have received lot of mails. But a simple mail confirmation (or automatic message) would be appreciated. This might avoid wondering is any spam filter have trash the mails.

We completely agree! It's part of our plan post GDC. We we're really excited about launching the program and didn't want to make people wait to apply for some of those systems to be put in place.

...focus on doing this DevGrant program is to boost the ratio of projects being shipped. Thus they want to make sure that every potential success UE4 has under its belts won't be buried because of lack of investment...
    Unreal Dev Grants is one of our ways to give back to the excellent Unreal development community, and helping those that may need just a little help in shipping is only part of the possibility. Many types of submissions that are eligible for grants wont ever be a shipped title, such as those non-game applications mentioned in the "WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR" section, as they're not a product

Infiltrator
    Thanks for the answers.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast