Can't get my AI to work

I’ve followed this guide https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/AI/BehaviorTrees/QuickStart/index.html using Unreal Engine 4.6.1 but can’t get it to work!

In the tutorial when they cast to Follower_AI_CON their node looks like this
24e281081db60b78c69a6b924c13c16bd564c46c.jpeg

However mine doesn’t have the C at the end
27764a143f6b7dd4a4edd4efa90cec439edd5b59.jpeg

I’ve gone over each step in the tutorial more than once and these are the only differences I can find. I’ve noticed this with other tutorials but it was never a problem. Does anyone have any thoughts suggestions or tips?

Hello,
Ijust did a try and got it working so you may have miss something : First places to check : in service : your linetraces (radius 1500 for first one, trace channel : camera for second one), in task : ai move to : aiconref controlled pawn linked to pawn , acceptance radius set 50. Finish execute input success : check. Then check values like pawn in array desired object types.

I’ve gone over what I thought was absolutely everything multiple times and can still not get this to work.

The only thing I’m seeing different is what I mentioned above, and my AgroCheck says no activation and a few things like that;
d35424673d.png

Would it be possible to send me your project files? It would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry for you because this is really annoying to not have what you want working as you want, but as this tutorial works (some don’t due to updates which need modifications sometimes like set variable editable since 4.6 for example)
There is a hidden mistake in your project you didn’t see yet and the best i can do for you is to invite you to do a new check but a slow one pointing each value and in variables and in nodes (especially the ones i said before).
And verify that your navmesh is ok too and that your default calues in character (especially ai) are ok too.
If after a whole new slow point by point check, you don’t find the trouble, upload the 4 files in a dropbox/drive/mediafire and i’ll look at it when i’ll have some time.

The “_C” means that the variable type is expecting a “class” of actor (not a specific instance of an actor itself). BTW - when these nodes use a human-readable version of names, it interprets the underscore character as a space which is why it just looks like an uppercase “C”. Anyways, the most common place to see this is when you create a new variable and start keying in a name of something - you’ll get blue text to make a variable of an actor type, and purple text to make a variable for an actor class. Not having gone thru this specific example personally, I would guess your problem is on step #9 with the variable called AI_CON_REF - if you check that table, you’ll see they ask you to make a purple class variable of type Follower_AI_CON_C (not Follower_AI_CON). This is a really common mistake to make when trying to learn blueprint early on.

So, working backwards from that Cast node you have a picture of, whatever is coming into the Object pin there needs to be one of these purple variables in order for the Cast to pickup the “_C” version that you’re missing. If you feed it a blue type, the cast will follow suit and not have a “_C”. Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

If i don’t mistake , trouble is not there in this case : The ai con_c that pndemc talk about is refering to the output information name from “cast to”, not a node name and i think this one of the nodes which has been changed in 4.5.
I did yesterday night the tutorial, step by step, to be sure that it was not an update issue, and with the same node without _c, it works fine. Trouble is from a hidden mistake. A step by step debugging is sadly the only way to find what.

Thanks for the help guys, I figured it out. I didn’t set a default value for the DesiredObjectTypes variable! What a silly mistake. Just glad I have it working now.