MakeHuman -> Blender -> UE4 Phat Problem

Hi,

I’m trying around with skeletal meshes at the moment and have some issue with the PHAT tool.

After trying around with my skeletal meshes, which I could use in animation blueprints and some first simple game, I decided to try PHAT, too.

I’ve got the issue with my skeletal meshes, already in use and with some exported standard MakeHuman skeletal mesh.

I exported these from MakeHuman to Blender (MHX file) and from Blender to UE4 (FBX file).
The skeletal mesh works great and in PHAT they are shown correctly but they are floating high above the floor.
When I then add some bodies to the bones and hit simulate, some wierd occur. (see the screenshots)

Screenshot 1: Without simulation
Screenshot 2: Simulation without gravity
Screenshot 3: Simulation with gravity.

The legs are spread away from each other.

Do you have some idea how to fix this?

Looks painful! :slight_smile:

What version of Blender, what version of UE4, and what exporter settings did you use? I haven’t seen this particular issue, but the Blender-to-UE4 conversion can be tricky. I’m happy to try and replicate your results and offer suggestions.

Also, which armature and topology did you choose in MakeHuman?

maybe try and reduce the collision mesh sizes? Sometimes if they merge they have bizarre results like your screenshots.

Good Luck :slight_smile:

These automatic generated rigid bodies seem to be really bad here…
Just have a look at this playlist from epic: Introduction to the Physics Assets Tool (PhAT) | v4.2 | Unreal Engine - YouTube
After watching this playlist you should be able to get this working the way you want :wink:

More information

First of all. Thanks for the fast replies.

@:
Here are my settings / versions and my process

MakeHuman:
Export:

• Blender exchange (mhx) mesh format
  • Feet on ground activated
  • Rotation limits deactivated
  • Export for Rigify deactivated
  • Scale units: decimeter

Blender:

• Version: 2.72.3
  • FBX Format Importer/Exporter: 3.2.0
  • I am importing from MakeHuman with Scale 1.0
  • Then I rotate everything by 180 degrees on the z axis, so that the direction is correct in UE4
  • Then I apply rotation and scale
  • Then I export like shown in the screenshot (4.png)

UE4:

@sushichris:
I tried to mess around with the sizes but it doesn’t change anything :frowning:

@Skynet:
Thanks for the links. They are great but I’ve already seen them before.
(Watching UE4 tutorials is 99% of my spare time at the moment :D.)

I suppose that my problems are coming from some size scaling / factors or something like that but I’m not really
sure. Like you can see in my blender settings, I am using some scaling of 0.1 instead of 0.01 (so decimeter instead
of centimeter). At the beginning of my Blender/UE4 time I always used 0.01 but with some patch it didn’t work
correctly anymore and I had to switch to 0.1. My meshes were 10 times larger than before after some patch.

I’ll now check for some new blender version and blender fbx exporter version.
Further more I’ll check the tutorial videos again.

I also uploaded my projects files (imports/exports) here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8FffrO5Yak_UmlYLVVFRDIzMHc&usp=sharing
Perhaps you have fun trying around with it. Would be a great help for me.
Thanks. I’m looking forward for your answers.

this video might help you a little, http://youtu.be/EFs4Qio-ZQc?list=PLXWXR2pLy_hV6UwhLjirhNnelWpOzGWRI its a bit old so i’m not sure if you’ll in cure any other issues

i tried your fbx failed, same issues. i then used your mhx file into blender, deleted the extra meshes (you might want to join these) then rotated the whole lot to face forward x+ , then scaled by 10 , not forgetting that my blender is already set for UE4 scaling you might need to use a different value.
then with everything selected use “Ctrl+a” to apply scale/rotation , now export via the default fbx settings (2.73)
on import to UE4 you may have to apply a rotation of “yaw=-90” not sure why but atm it happens, then once imported and saved check your mesh size in a map with the Epic blue guy from the third person template. check in the persona editor that the mesh is at ground level, if every thing is ok it should be now fine to start on the physicsasset

Did it the same like you did, except for the sizing and I’ve got the same issues like before. :frowning:
Always when I add an physics asset object to the legs it splits up.

I’ll now watch your linked video. Perhaps this helps.

Thank you for help. Do you have some further idea?

after import make sure your character is around the same size as the blue guy, check that in the skeletal mesh editor “Persona” that the feet are on the ground, once i did as above it worked as normal

Hi,

after trying around with further settings and watching the videos I tried it again up and down but I could not succeed.
I tried everything what you said but it didn’t help :frowning: I also installed a new Blender 2.73 but this didn’t change anything.

I decided to make a short 4 minute video what I’m doing perhaps someone sees a clitch in my imports/exports.

In the meantime I’ll try around with creating my own skeletons / armature or by using the ue4 blue guys animations.

Thanks for your help.

ok try this video that i made just for you

Oh. That is awesome. Thank you for your help. I’ll watch the video now and will write later if I succeeded. :slight_smile:

So first of all.
“Danke . Das Video war super und du hast mir sehr geholfen. :)”

Which means something like: “Thanks for the great video. You helped me a lot!” :wink:

I could directly find out what my problem is. It was some setting in Blender itself.

In the screenshot you can see the standard configuration of Blender for Units.
In standard “NONE” is selected and this seems also to be the correct setting.
In several “perhaps older” videos on YouTube they recommended the metric system with centimeter selected and I had this setup.
I already thought about this setting some days ago but forgot it and so I didn’t try it out.

Your video showed me the scaling setting (scale 100) which is some really good idea because it seems to work better than switching to centimeters.
It looks like that something (perhaps the skeleton or some other parameter) doesn’t scale with the UNITS settings of Blender when exporting.
I don’t know if this is a bug or if it is intended like this because everything else scales nicely with the centimeter unit setting.

Thanks again for your great help. I never thought that someone is so friendly and answers with a half an hour video. That’s awesome. :slight_smile:

P.S.: I could also get rid of the smoothing groups error by exporting it with Smoothing “face” in Blender.

it works sometimes not sure atm why not, don’t forget to watch the stream tomorrow as they are doing a blender to UE4 stream why rigs and anims :slight_smile:

ps. das wagen mache ich so was um euch zu helfen wo i kann ,
pps. German isn’t my native language :wink:

Thanks for the hint with the twitch stream. I’ll check it out. :slight_smile:

Thought it’s your native language because of the language settings in your windows :wink:

@Topic: The topic can be closed if this is common behaviour here in the forums. Haven’t seen something to close it.

you can edit the title using the “Go Advanced” button then put [Solved] in the front of the title so that anyone searching the forum can see the issue and what was done to fix it, some time people with similar issues will post in the original thread which is ok here.

btw. ich lebe zeit uber 30 jahre hier in Deutchland also muss ich mit Win De klar kommen :wink:

This issue isnt solved yet.

http://www.makehuman.org/blog/new_rigging_library.html

• Download the nightly build of Makehuman
  • Make a character and rig it using the new UE4 compatible rig included with this new version
  • Export .DAE to Blender.
  • Fix anything what you may found wrong, like rotation and scale (blender pre-configured with metric scale set to 1 and 100 in fbx exporter scale)
  • Export your .FBX from Blender to UE4
  • It takes some time.
  • If it generates a physic asset check if is correct
  • Test the free animation pack from market place with this rig
  • and please share the results.