Digital-Tutors: Unreal Engine 4 vs. Unity: Which Game Engine Is Best for You?

Update 2 after Source 2 announcement :

They made an article comparing all major engines now: Digital Tutors is now Pluralsight | Pluralsight

Update after recent prices’ change :

Original story between UE4 and Unity only :

Digital-Tutors created an article comparing both UE4 and Unity engines: Digital Tutors is now Pluralsight | Pluralsight

You can talk about your preferences here and in their facebook post: Redirecting...

Please keep it fair play and don’t start a useless war so this article don’t get locked in order to improve UE4.

For me (copied from my facebook post there): “UE4 for me: easier with all the tutorials, suppor of all other devs with plugins or stuff , betetr effects and stronger especially with lightiing and PBR, SSS, and ray traced shadows and I have it for freeeeeeeeeeeee yayyyyy! though Unity 5 has a better store and modeler for BSPs, you can create entire meshes (like houses or other stuff) so easily within Unity 5 without the needing of outside 3D softwares. I hope UE4 does the same one day. Oh also I forgot Unity 5 has now enlighten dynamic GI in it with no extra cost, I hope the same will happen to UE4.”

My opinion is that Unity is doomed, for the price of Unity pro you can buy UE4 license, 75 times. If you are actually selling, UE4 is less initial investment, and that 5% is only more than Unity price when you are actually earning big amounts of money (in my opinion, if i get enought success to lose money with that 5% instead of unity pro, ill be really happy, and 5% is low comparing with the 30% steam takes)
I find UE4 a better engine overall, but Unity wins in the mobile/2d department, as its a MUCH more lightweight engine. For medium to big 3d games, UE4 wins, Also i find programming in ue4 be amazing as i can see into the source code if i dont know what something does.

This if you consider only Unity and not mobile addons… full Unity is around $5000, that’s about 263 times, if you stay subscribed every month for Unreal, aka 21 years… if my math do not fail me:)

Speaking only of prices:)

When UE4 hits a point of proper stability, (it’s getting better all the time) picks up in the mobile + 2D market and C# is widely adapted, then Unity is doomed. Yes I know there is blueprint, but to get Unity users to migrate you have to give them some course of familiarity. Some people just absolutley hate C++, this isn’t to start a flame war because nobody can dictate preference or involvement to another. You have to remember, Unity’s user base still absolutley dwarfs UE’s…!

The 5% is a sticking point to a fair few as well, for me UE4 will cost a fortune when income streams switch from Unity and dependant on release there will probably be some negotiating to do. Whilst I believe it’s worth it, others aren’t as easy to convince on the subject matter.

When using Unity, for the games we make UE4 can do everything Unity can do (and in a lot of cases better) but Unity can’t do half the stuff out the box UE4 can. So in staff costs alone it’s a bit of a no brainer really. Whilst I believe Epic should take care of there own engine (were paying for it in some way at the end of the day), if I was to release a game I don’t have to rely on Epic if we have a Sev1 issue that needs fixing.

I help out in my spare time with a lot of other indies, some making big MMO’s etc. Whilst most agree GRFX isn’t important compared to gameplay, you’re shooting yourself in the foot if someone can do a similar game with much shinies. Unreal sets a new bar of competition in this department and whilst you can make Unity look good, it requires too much effort from mid and even smaller devs and it’s not worth the trade off.

There are too many pro’s for UE4, I couldn’t list most of them. The staff at Epic are amazing and extremely helpful, the engine is flexible and powerful… It’ll be harder for Unity to catch up than it will be for UE4 to catch up in areas.

One question. How much do you have to pay, to get full source of Unity ?

Your logic is wrong in so many levels it’s not even worth explaining why. It’s like comparing features for smartphones.

From their FAQ:

I agree that Unreal Engine 4 is a lot better, but how heavy it is and what is required to run it with good performance has me worried. Especially since my map is a huge landscape with tons of trees. Even with culling, in 1080p, my FPS dips below 25. Plus, my target audience are the people without super high end hardware (I own an HD 7850 2GB). I would like the game to run well across all platforms but I just don’t know. I’ll spend more time with it and if I can get what I want with at least decent performance, then I’ll stick with Unreal for my game. Otherwise, I have to switch to Unity for this project. I hope I can get it working how I want it. :smiley:

If you don’t want to explain, why even dare come here, read and comment to say nothing but just pull the old cliche of:“your opinion sucks, your logic is wrong, mine are the best, no need to explain”, this is getting very worn. And please show us your RIGHT logics, because anything can be compared even smartphones features.

Well this is big news, Autodesk has a big competitor now.

That’s Unity advantage, it is better suited for lower hardware, and it requires less higher Pc to develop.

There is plugins for modeleing in the editor, but i never seen any news about some complete in-editor modeler and uv mapper.

TBH, I didn’t try it yet , but a friend of mine told me about it and showed me a video where someone is editing a hut in-editor, just like he does on 3D softwares.

I will ask him again for the video if he connects.

Conclusion UnrealEngine won, nothing more, i think (i don’t know) Epic recovered 80% of users of Unity, maybe more , what do you think ?

Yes, there are countless games shifting from Cryengine and unity to UE4 and the results are much better.

Right , And the small good point of unity will be overwhelmed by the very fast job of Epic…

:D. The amount of care Epic provides each week for us, even for tiny but important details like the new help tab. One real big advantage Unity has now is the dynamic GI they got from Enlighten free with Unity 5 but I heard it has some limits and doesn’t have the full one. I hope Epic adds the full enlighten dynamic GI and for free please.

Man, C# and Unreal would be unstoppable.

+100,000,000

I agree, and you can’t compare CryEngine documentation and ease of use to Unreal 4.

You know by posting in the Unreal forums you’re going to get biased opinions. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not false :wink: