Creating AimOffset using AnimStarterPack

I’m developing a game with an Alien Shooter style control (Alien Shooter Gameplay - YouTube - Alien Shooter gameplay). Since I’m not good at 3D modelling, I used Epic Games AnimStarterPack to animate my character. Here is a brief how-to I implemented an AimOffset asset.

AnimStarterPack provides an animation sequence Anim_Space_Hip, which is simply a sequence of 9 poses. Those poses cover 180 deg. yaw and pitch angle. To make a character to aim its weapon smoothly, those poses must be blended according to two given parameters: yaw and pitch angles.

Export Aim_Space_Hip animation somewhere and import it 9 times, each time choose the frames range which correspond to the pose. The editor doesn’t allow to import a one frame animation, so choose 2 frames and then delete one frame in the editor. Note, that some poses have a one frame “extremum” and if we don’t want a quivering pose there must be only one frame in a pose animation.

Importing the “centre-up” pose.
import_pose.PNG center_up_pose.PNG

Give proper names to the pose animations, like CC for “centre-centre”, LU for “left-up” and so on. After importing, open the animation and change Additive Anim Type to Mesh Space, Base Pose Type to Selected animation frame and choose below Idle_Rifle_Hip asset. Right-click on the Sequence Editor and Remove from frame 1 to frame 2. Finish up with 9 poses in this way and proceed to creating an AimOffset asset.

To create an AimOffset asset and get a basic idea of it, check the documentation page Aim Offset in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation. Along the X axis determine the yaw angle, along the Y axis - pitch angle. Set -90 … 90 deg. range and 4 divisions for both. Put all the “down” poses on the bottom row, i.e. “left-down”, “center-down” and “right-down”. On the middle row put “center” poses and, finally, on the upper row put “up” poses. Change Preview Base Pose to Idle_Rifle_Hip to check what’s done.

Final AimOffset asset.
center_up_pose.PNG

Check out the Content Examples demo to get an idea how to aim your character run time Content Examples Sample Project for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation. In my case, the yaw and pitch angles are defined by a point in the world the cursor hovering over.

AnimGraph.

In-game aiming.