Dynamic Weather System WIP

Its a work in progress for my 2nd class project its not my best work but for 3 weeks of work and 27 bsod (bad graphics card) its not to bad.

Original concept i was going for
85939188c383ba9537fed9ff1b448999245c4398.jpeg

Spent more time tweaking everything than getting the models in there.

Let me know what you think :)!

Fixed a lot of work itself added more models fixed the sky and ocean(-a black in an alpha from a heightmap)
Started working on the blueprint to control the wind rain and lightning effects in the clouds as it goes over.
The wind actor main ingredient will control which directin the waves pan harder the trees blow the clouds move which dirrection the rain blows ect.
Unfortunately I cannot use my rig to finish the blueprint it keeps crashing when i up the graphics to see it working. So will upload a video from school with my camera phone not the best
but it will look MUCH better than the original.

Your are freaking awesome, How I wish I can also do this!

StormCloud part

The rain cloud material i go an error from the blueprint from one of my blue screens right after that i couldn’t play the level until i finished compiling it but it wasn’t in game wound up having to delete 6 of my blueprints just to get into the level but from my laptop can only show materials piece by piece finally got some screen cap software.
The storm cloud material in action. Can also control the cloud variance forgot to mess with that setting.

Fantastic work ! That weather system that you have created looks great. The storm clouds really bring the whole scene together. Be sure to keep us updated as you progress with the development of your project.

This looks great, I’m really curious about how you set up the clouds in your material.

the clouds unfortunately were expensive. 200 instructions 170ish - the normal map. Still looking for a work around dont want to use parrallaxing on it. Initial concept was to have a texture pan over an area so i had to make my own skydome. Looked at the UE4 skydome and tested my material on theirs the problem was the uvs it had couldnt get the effect i wanted but it had the basic uvs for a skydome. Next problem was creating procedural volumetric or a material cloud system. Effectivley i made both and am testing which is easier to use. The blueprint MID is what im working on right now with the level blueprint to finish the clouds and thunder and color change. Overall the material system is still a work in progress. It doesnt effect frame rate at all now but trying to keep the detail as well as the instruction count low. Ill post another video soon. Also some pictures my…editor workflow is kinda sloppy rushing to finish the project for class.

working on fixing the lighting the shadow information in the level dissapeared might have to build a new light and replug everything back in
still working on the lightning coming out of the storm in blueprint.

the video underneath was to the detail lighting pass

I see, I’m yet to start working on our weather material in UE4.
Most of it is fairly straight forward but I never quite got procedual clouds right back in UDK.
It’s easy to get it to look good the “traditional” way, by using pictures of clouds but I need them to be procedual and random so I’ve been thinking of different ways of doing this for a while now. I had this idea of doing the 2D clouds as a few maps in Substance Designer to be able to randomize them in runtime, but I haven’t tried yet.

Skydome is the key with the uv sets on how you want the clouds to pan if over top a sphere gradient or dot product used as a mask but id go with the gradient u add in a texture into a linear gradient multiply rather and pan it with a rotator that controls direction and fade the material i used would be significantly less but i added thunder to it and made a blueprint from the entire thing. Problem is the lighting it takes forever to build for it to look good and unfortunately i dont think my machine can build fast enough a day probably with dynamic 2% after 30 minutes so yup a good long while. The textures either bump offset for depth or normal map i went the normal map route havent tried the bump offset one.

Haven’t had time to work on it but the last video i never got to upload going to work on some of the geometry and fix the masking issues with the thunder. Also when the matinee begins the particles dont show up as thunder they look blurry so not to sure why that is will fix though.

On another note i might scrap the ocean cause using both of these materials with a landscape is to hardware intensive mostly because the ocean shader is to complex.

Fixed some of the aesthetic look the masking so can just make more thunder less thinder rain no rain more clouds less clouds ect.