- development blog

Hi all!

I’m fresh out of school and want to keep myself busy while I work to save up for moving to england next year to study more game design. I have no programming skills and I’m ok with 3D.

So my goal is to create the game I’ve had in my head since I started studying this. And during the next year or two I want to finish it.
I’m going to post updates once or twice each week on what I’ve done. And at some point go trough all the blueprints for you so I can get feedback on what sucks and what could be done differently. I want constructive criticism, its cool to hear people say good things, but I don’t learn from that ^^

Currently I have no designs on the characters or anything else for that matter, just a main storyline and a set of different game mechanics I want to make, purely just to try it out and see how it worked out.

I currently make use of trello for planning and posting progress but I will post my videos in here. the trello board is open for everyone to comment and vote on, you can also find the older video post as well there:

Fourth update, I am still working on the basic movement controls and health/survival aspect as well as inventory:

StoryIdea major spoiler:

Lookin’ good!

I love to see inventory/item systems like that where you can pick up the arrows, and they stick into stuff. Mount & Blade seriously spoiled me with that.

My plan was to have the exact number of arrows you have crafted, displayed in a quiver on the back or simply poking out of a bag, kind of like in The Last of Us, so they wont magically appear from thin air when you grab one. I might try having a similar inventory as The Forest, no big plans on this because I need to do it fully in BP.

There will be a chance for them to break as well.

even for so soon out of the gate, this is looking extremely well done! Looking forward to great things!

Great work so far fanzypantz! Keep up the great work! I will be sure to stop by when I see that an update has been posted. Good luck to you on your development journey.

So I just moved back this weekend and haven’t really done much since last time, but what I’ve done since last time:

• Made it easier to add more items to inventory from a BP perspective. In other words the pickup mechanic
  • Started working a bit on how the inventory is being handled, I think I want to keep track of how many of the certain item you got, not just all of them at once in say an array. And my Idea of checking your inventory will be: you press the inventory key and then you start rifeling trough your bags and after say 2-3 seconds an item show up on your top left screen telling you that you have this many of that item. And you can select each item in a scroll menu on the HUD down to the left on the screen; but this list will not update unless you check your bag again. But obvious items such as the arrows that will be visible at all times might be updated all the time, this I’m unsure of. Currently I’m not sure if I want to display hunger and water, and I’m not sure how I want hunger and water to affect the player, I want to do it in another way than normal. Somehow less intrusive and not so annoying, yet important for your survival
  • Worked more on the environment hazards, playing around to figure out how dynamic instanced materials worked and fire now warms you in cold areas, but fire speeds up your temperature gain. ps: temperature values will never be displayed so I went the easy way of doing 0-200 as the values.

I’m really looking forward to 4.3 because of Speedtree and Substance Designer integration! I’d love to start messing around with this and I already have finished assets from Substance Designer I want to add ^^

I have two questions: 1. Why does my custom object channels always disappear when I close the editor? 2.(rambling a bit, sorrysorry) How do I keep track of the scroll menu for inventory I explained above? I basically want one item in the middle, so when I press the up key, the currently selected item gets translated upwards and dispersers, but on the same time the item under it fades in and takes it place. Kinda like I want to simply just use 3 different draw materials and text nodes that are connected to an array which will make my life easier when adding more items.

Lets say there are 3 items in the game and they are ordered: 1,2,3. 2 is the one being displayed since it is in the middle. Then when I press the up key, nbr 2 goes to nbr 1’s place, nbr 1 goes to nbr 3’s place, and finally nbr 3 goes to the middle. If this makes sense to you guys and know how to solve this with some simple math? I want to have hopefully dusins of items in the game at the end. Here is the HUD so far:

Hi
Tell me, did you make foot placement with objects that have the Collision

Yes, In my head it would be like in Skyrim, but obviusly It dont work that way.

I tried to do, but did not work perfectly
I look away for the right and left foot. Where the distance to the object is larger, then move it down to the mesh distance. And the other leg (in which the distance to the object is less) sginayu at the same distance.
But when lifting works dramatically, although the interpolated ((
Sorry for my english, I’m from Russia)

I had the same problem, I can prob make a small video explaining how I did it. I changed up a few things.

Wow, it would be very cool. Please write down the video, which demonstrates how it is taken (it would be nice if more and slowed the time) and still your blyuprint.
thanks in advance

Well I did a try on a demonstration video, I’m from Norway and do not regularly do this sort of stuff I tried my best to explain:

fanzypantz , thanks for you video. But I dont understand … does not work well with objects that have a collision with Character…I thought you could do it))
Or it works with stairs? Just showed you at the beginning that does not work.
Sorry for my English)He is very bad, i’m from Russia)

Well right now I’m not sure what else than things without collision this is usefull for. Because like you saw there, the capsule collision of the player makes it hard to make walking on steps look realistic.

Alright so I’ve worked more on core gameplay while doing some texturing, I went outside and took pictures of flowers, plants and rocks which I could use to make stuff here. The rock I took pictures of had a redish tint to it which would suit the feel better than regular gray. I really want to go out into the forest here in Norway to take refference images+ images I can make tileables for the terrain textures, because I want the game to be set in a Nordic environment, and so far I’ve made a few foliages:

Be aware, loud static mic, dad in the background… Forgot to turn it off.

I havent done much since last time because I’m starting to run into problems such as fps problems, and that the lighting and shadowing look like a ****
Newest image:

I’ve taken vacation from everything, but I’ve done some more work since last time:

http://puu.sh/aQZ4N/806a61a83c.jpg