Skylight and night interior scenes ...

hey guys,
Just a little question… Is there any point in using the skylight for night interior scenes… ?
Lets say we have a basement room or hallway without windows, a scene which is using basically only point and spot lights… no “sun/moon” light…

Im no expert… but i think it would benefit you to put one in so you can add a hdri for reflections.

0 ambient generally looks odd outdoors, but indoors I guess you’d get away without it.

It’s for all the areas that won’t receive any direct light but should still be a little bit lit and not totally black. If you don’t have any of these areas then it is better not to have a skylight.

You can also place some additional low powered large radius point lights near your regular lights to simulate the ambient light in a room. This can look better than a skylight in my opinion.

hmm, from my understanding the skylight should make the shadows also a bit soft or not so hard black… is that right ?
When going for quality lighting, the question is basically the same… should i use a skyligt even i have no windows in my room or should i simply delete the skylight ?

well it brightens up shadows a bit because it brightens everything up a bit. The best way to find out is to try. It is a matter of taste as well and how the rest of your lighting is set up. There are other ways to brighten up shadows like adding a ambient cubemap in the post processing volume or adding a environment colour in the lightmass world settings (not sure this still works). It’s not bad by default to use a skylight. I am not a big fan of it but I end up using it in most projects. Usually with intensity around 0.75 or 1.0 max.

Maybe set it to 0.0 - Build lighting and see if you really need it.