PAPER2D no Animations notifies?

Hello, sometime has passed without making anything with UE4, i was making a 2d game using unity3d, why ? many reasons: lot of people told me it was more quick to do things, more advantages for one man team, an so on.

anyway, here i’m, after a lot of thinking and strugling with some basic things in unity3d, i have returned to epic, i used to work with udk and started some minors things with ue4 when it came out.

now i’m starting to code my actual project with ue4, a 2d action side-scroller game, just wondering if the flipbook is still without animations notifies? i have tried with ue4 4.15 but didn’t found notifies in there.

if there is no animations notifies on flipbook is there a work around to set footsteps sounds, dust particles when the player step on sand and things like that ?

thank you in advance for all the help.

Unfortunately there are no notifies it would be really nice tho but i think Epic just doesn’t care for paper 2d anymore :’(

there is a work around i found but i only know how to do this in blueprints not sure if this will work in c++

In the flipbook find the frame you want to call an event then in blueprint use a node called get playback position in frames and simply use tick to check to see if the animation is on whatever frame you want to call an event. There’s obviously a better way of doing this other then tick but this gives you a basic idea. Oh and if the event is getting called more then once use do once and reset it after the frame has changed.

3 Likes

thank you for the information, i will try to do that, thanks again!

For dust particles you could always do it the old school way and make a sprite animation that is dust or whatever you want maybe water splashes etc. Each of those animations could be played along with the normal run/walk/jump and so on based on the type of ground the character is colliding with. You would basically be making a small system to apply additional effect flipbooks to characters based on the environment.

For sound you don’t always need to synchronize the footsteps with each foot of the animation hitting the ground. I mean it does depend on the game but a lot of times you can get away with playing a generic semi-synchronized footstep sound. If the step sounds are spaced pretty close to the amount of time each footstep of the animation takes to play out then it will still work fine and no one will really notice it. The better you can match the sound and steps the better the effect is but don’t worry about it being perfect.

thank you for the advice Corpsecrank.