Blueprints to make an app?

Ok so here is what I am wondering. Can you use blueprints alone to make a non UMG app? I want to make a couple of small tools and nothing I need to do is really all that complex. I want the tools to be light though and not use UMG.

I think doing this through blueprints would be pretty fast at least for me personally since the visual aspect of it makes it so much easier to me. I just don’t know if blueprints alone are going to be able to do this. Are they to limited for something like that?

If it can be done though and anyone knows of any info on it please point me in the right direction.

You can make application that does not use UMG at all. But unreal engine will be still packed there, and it will be around 100mb anyway.
I have some feeling that you want just blueprints without whole unreal rendering and game thing.
And you cannot do such application in blueprints they are integral part of engine.

Edit:
Would be great if unreal was modular, and we could swap modules like blueprints, rendering engine, physics etc. But i think that everything in unreal is so much interconnecterd that such modularity is impossible (while maintaining decent performance).

Well, UMG is a part of blueprints. Are you sure you’re not mixing something up? You can made a simple UI with the HUD class but that would be pretty much cosmetic only.

Any particular reason you wish to avoid the widget editor?

What kind of app? what do you want it to do?

If you want to use Slate, let’s do it in CPP I’d say. Just because you have much more things exposed.

But you can do lots of things with Blueprint Slate, it’s just that Widgets are more convenient to use.

well basically I just wanted to make a lightweight desktop application. Something resembling a standard windows form style app. I think the unreal launcher was done with slate if I remember right and this was kinda what I was hoping to do. Just build a simple non umg app since I don’t need the full umg involved. Probably better off just writing the app up the old fashioned way though from the sounds of it. I was just curious if this was possible and thought it may be interesting to try it since working in blueprints is fast and easy.