Are UE4 builds still more than 1GB large? If yes, does someone know how to make it less large?

In the past, I still get 1.4GB UE4 builds as the size for the compiled executables. I always thought that I’m doing something wrong on my end, and that I never really bothered to look into how to get it down below the 1GB threshold. But now that I think about it, it is starting to get me intrigued and curious… Probably should’ve looker further into this in the past.

Is is still more than 1GB for compiled builds? If yes, does someone know how to make it smaller?

You mean game builds?

The final packaged game should not be that big unless you have a lot of content. Right now the editor will package all assets so if you have a bunch of stuff you’re not using then you should delete those things.

You can pick on Settings which folders you want to include/exclude for cooking and which maps you want to build now.

Some UE4 games are 100 MB. Other UE4 games are 25 GB. The size of the game depends on the size of assets you put in.

Thanks everyone. Great to know. I felt dumb in not looking into this clearly when I was making a game with a friend.

I did a quick test for the smallest UE4 packaged build.

The most minimum packaged build size is 45MB using the default Blueprint Empty Project, with compression turned on. According to the Output Logs, I have compressed down to 40.64% of the original size, which is somewhat around 55MB.

Now, at least I can easily say that build size are a bit smaller.

In the project setting under packaging check create compressed cooked packages. It should reduce the size of your final build a lot, but it will probably increase your game’s loading times, well it does for me anyway. How much smaller your game gets may also depend on the assets your using.

My game is currenlty 8gb when I build with uncompressed packages, it takes about 10-15 seconds to load a level.
And 3.79gb when I build with compressed packages, it takes about 45-60 seconds to load a level.

Good to know. So, UE4 will take any asset I have even if it’s not being used?
Is there a plan to only use assets used in Levels?

When you make a development build in editor, it may do that.

When you make a final release build / cooked build, it will start with the levels you specify in the “initial level” and then just take all the assets referenced by that level and any additional levels it loads in turn. If you have some way of loading assets or levels that is not “known” by that mechanism (such as constructing level names by concatenating strings or whatnot) then you can also add additional levels to include in the final cooking.

479ff4dae92f6789f994f0bd870ce7d5c41bc125.jpeg

UE4 only cooks and packages content that is used from the maps that you specify. If you don’t specify any maps it will cook everything in the content folder.