Mixamo to UE4 Mannequin - Animation Retargeting - Free Maya Scripts

Hi guys,

I decided to release for free the Retargeting scripts for Mixamo I made a bit ago.

Mixamo to UE4 Mannequin - Animation Retargeting Scripts

The scripts are made using MEL, so they can be used on both Maya and MayaLT.

I also included a video showing how to use the scripts in Maya.

If you find them useful please consider a Paypal donation to:

[EMAIL=“esposito.n@enter-reality.it”]esposito.n@enter-reality.it

Cheers :slight_smile:

Thats more like it! Thanks a lot m8, very noble of you.
Ill check them out and tell you how it went :slight_smile:

You’re welcome :wink:

I’m not that much into scripting, but this was quite quick to do and it might help those struggling with the retargeting with Maya/MoBu.

I think that the Hips “issue” shown in the video can be solved by someone who know scripting better then me :smiley:

Hey!

I went over the scripts and you are creating constraints twice.

once by:
doCreateOrientConstraintArgList…
and again by:
orientConstraint

P.S

AFAIK Maya LT has HIK with retargeting.

Well done, Nicolas.

Do i need Maya or something to do this aswell or can i use something else?

Nevermind, i didnt read the title good enough xD

@lion032: I’ll fix that :wink:
HIK is pretty good, but I mainly switched to Motion Builder
@Consultant: Thanks :slight_smile:

Hello, can you help me please, i have an issue when importing into Unreal:

Are you using the default Mannequin? if so the multiple root issue depends within Maya scene you’re using, possibly multiple skeletal hierarchy in the scene.

yes - i have export Mannequin from ue, and i tried two skeletons (see image): with root and without root.
How can i fix it, can you help me

Ok, let’s go step by step:

If you’re using the script I posted here you’ll end up with a scene with the mannequin skeletal hierarchy and the Mixamo skeletal hierarchy.

After you used the script and the animation has been retargeted you should do as follow:

• Select the entire Mannequin skeletal hierarchy ( Modify > Select hierarchy )
  • On the Animation Tab go to Key > Bake keys
  • Delete the mixamo skeletal hierarchy
  • Export the Mannequin Skeletal hierarchy+mesh
  • Import in UE4

This should solve the “multiple root” issue if you didn’t delete the mixamo skeleton in Maya

Thank you, i get it))

Which version of Maya are you using, in Maya 2017, the root bone and ik feet and hands just stay in the same place.

I’m using Maya 2016

IK are in the same place because they are not being retargeted, because Mixamo doesn’t have IK joints, so it’s up to you if you want to constraint them to the Mannequin hands/feet.
The Mannequin rig doesn’t have any constraints to the IK joints, so you get the same results as mine on the video, but you can decide to add ( before or after the script ) the IK joints retargeting based on what you need.

The root stays in place on purpouse, but if you want you can constraint the XY position of the hips to the root, so that the root will move accordingly.

Yeah sorry about the root bone, of cause it stays in place, but when I import into UE4 root motion does not work. The mannequin is still leaving his capsule (I have checked root motion in the animation and set Root motion from everything in the anim blueprint.)

Nevermind, I realised that the Mixamo animation does not have rootmotion, so the root bone is not animated. An easier solution than going through Maya I think (if rootmotion is not required) is to import a Mixamo character into UE4 and when importing animations from Mixamo just point at the skeleton from the Mixamo character so that bonenames match and then just retarget to you own character inside UE4. But if you need rootmotion on your root bone, here is a tutorial for moving the motion from Mixamo pelvis to the rootbone and that way have root motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJNiRPGAqk&feature=youtu.be

Hi! im Leandro, i use the scripts from Enter Reality (by Nicolas Esposito) in maya 2020 to bring a mixamo animation in the epic skeleton to edit with ART tool, but i have weird rotations in legs arms and other bones in the retargeting proccess. I will update the script if anyone want to.

The followings are the paths i follow to get working in the ART tool:

1. In maya, import the FBX of the mannequin (or yours exported ART skeleton), and import too the Mixamo Animation downloaded. If you can, keep the hips in the same location.

2. Run the selected script in the Maya Script Editor in MEL. Press RUN, and the retarget its done.

3. Bake the animation in all the target bones (select all joints, go to keys Bake simulation). Now you can erase the mixamo skeleton. Go to delete all type of history, and now you can export the animation to an FBX file.

4. New Scene, add your character for animation from the ART Tool , now you can import the animation and edit it in the sections of you want with your fbx file.

I hope you can help if have the same problems like me. Thanks Nicolas for your base script!

Look the attached files for the MEL SCRIPTS with and without root motion.

I’ve been using this for a while but was having issues with the shoulders being a bit hunched and the arms coming out not quite right. I made this and have better results. I use it on some motion capture animations that we capture using Rokoko studio.

Most of that can probably be copied to the other non One to One script.

I basically changed a lot of them to use “maintain offset” to better transfer the poses to the other skeleton. But the hands and fingers and legs on the UE4 mannequin were slightly angled while the Mixamo skeleton was perfectly straight, so I kept the manually set offsets from the original script.

I get mixamo animations transferred over to the ART mannequin skeleton by going into ART and selecting Edit Existing character, and selecting the character’s Export file.
Then I import the mixamo animation.
Then I run the script.
Then I select the root bone of the unreal skeleton and select heirarchy.
Export the selection as an fbx.
Then I create a new scene.
Go to ART and add the actual character.
Then in ART I import the fbx I exported earlier onto the character.
Then I go through the process of cleaning up our motion captured animation and make it fit for the game using ART.

Thanks for the updated script!