Convert animations to a mesh with same bones but diferent jerarchy.

I want to change the jerarchy of some skeletal meshes. No problem to do this in the base model, import it to UDK, etc.

But the animations seems that need reimport too, because the animset seems that stores not also the rotations, the jerarchy too. So if I change the base mesh, all the animations are working bad, with bones moved, etc.

I have about 250 anims x 2 meshes, about 500 in total, and I think that I need almost 10 min to convert each and reimport to UDK… so, there are any way to convert the animset to the new mesh? Any way to modify the file or something similar.

I have tried to copy animations from the old animset to one new with the new jerarchy, but no result. I saw that you can export the animset with “*.copy” extension in plain text and in this way you can edit the bone index numbers, but how import again in UDK?

Any idea before spend hours reimporting animations?

move/replace the old location of the skeletalmesh.fbx, -> reimport skeletal mesh from the content browser, it’ll prompt you that the old file is not there anymore, so youcan browse to the new one, or, if you ahve replaced the old one it’ll reimport the new one and associate all the animsets with it.

Thanks but I have no problem reimporting the mesh, works fine, the replaced mesh has the new jerarchy, and are rendered correctly in the default pose, without animation.

But the animset seems to store the jerarchy too, so I need to reimport the animations with the new jerarchy, as UDK haven’t retargeting like UE4.

You mean change the hierarchic bone structure and keep the same animations? If that’s what you mean I wish it were possible, I’ve always had to redo. Maybe someone knows a way, as per looking into the files themselves.

Yes, sorry for my english…

I know that UDK hastn’t retargeting, but in this case the bones are the same, same names, same location, same pivots… only changes the hierarchic.

Your English is fine, miss-spellings are usual but I wasn’t sure if I was missing something with ‘jerarchy.’

But I’m not sure what you mean, and the fault is mine - probably my knowledge is linear and therefore limited, sorry. I had a quick look at a re-targeting UE4 video and it’s an innovative setup giving the dev more control.

Meanwhile in olde UDK… You changed the hierarchy. I’m not sure what you mean. You linked different bones. You deleted/added a bone link?

Maybe, but I don’t think you mean this? -> for example: my game has many meshes: civilian meshes; male, female pedestrians; guards, police - all my different mesh characters use only one custom skeleton. Some use different animations, or the same animations according to what I write in my code. But only one custom skeleton for all. In Maya I added new meshes to the same skeleton for each character. I give each mesh roughly the same pose so the join to the skeleton is good, but sometimes I need to re-paint the joints /vertexes to the skeleton. If I changed anything in my custom skeleton that would break all my animations. My skeleton is always untouched - only the meshes change.

Heh, I tend to invent words, using the word in spanish and do a english version of it… sometimes it works :slight_smile:

I use two main skeletons in the game, one for male and another for female, with the same bone names, and each skeleton has a animset. I use several meshes with this two skeletons.

The problem with the hierarchy is that the “buttocks” bones are linked to the thighs, and I want to link directly to the pelvis. I can import the new model without problem in UDK, but then the animations works bad because the bone hierarchy has changed. Probably this will not be a problem with UE4 and its retargeting system, but in UDK I don’t know if there are any way to change only the hierarchy.

Actually your Spanish version kind of worked but I over-thought and got confused, heh.

Sadly any changes to my hierarchies I didn’t even think of alternatives I began again and made new anims. I hope someone else with deeper knowledge can offer you solutions.

Your animations are already excellent. For some people I think they are terrifyingly realistic. I think your anim work is already the pinnacle of UDK possibility, exceeding the work of professional studios. GTA5 doesn’t even measure up.

I know how it feels though, just one more tweak! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, it seems that I will need to reimport all the animations some day…

from my experience I’m certain you will have to retarget them in your 3d app
if you use 3ds max with biped it’s really easy. otherwise I hear that autodesk motionbuilder is the best for that (didn’t use it myself tho)

Yeah, the most tedious is to reimport all the animations in UDK, most of them with notifies, so I need to reimport with a temporary name, select the animation to replace, copy notifies, rename the new animation… and go for the next.