[scene] vxgi 4.12 lighting test without bake4.

Hello everyone,

The goal of this test was to demonstrate that we can achieved good photorealistic real time lighting without baking anything in UE.
What i use was a compiled version of UE 4.12 with VXGI.
The frame rate is absolutely garbage (like 12 fps in 1080p) with a Geforce GTX 1080.
Hope you like it!

VXGI ON/OFF

PS : I didn’t do the modeling of the scene, i grab it on a free model website.

Looks very nice! I’m also looking forward to a couple of generations from now, when midrange graphics cards will be able to use tech like this with good framrates.

Well, if you have one of the more expensive cards you can get at least 30fps, though it can depend on a lot of things

But he said he is running at 12fps on a GTX1080. What card will deliver more performance than that for VXGI?

Maybe the new titan X? with pascal tech?
and Alot of Archviz artist don’t have the habit of do optimization :slight_smile:

Even my GTX 780 has better performance with VXGI than that, he probably just has it configured at absurdly high settings to make still images for archviz look better. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but VXGI really doesn’t -have- an upper limit to how far you can push the settings, it’ll go as high as you tell it to, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll run well at those settings.

My guess is that he has too many dynamic shadow casting lights, because VXGI should get much much better performance than that on a GTX 1080, I get better performance than that on a 960

I understand it’s possible to optimize that, I’ve played around with VXGI a while ago. The thing is the phrase “if you have one of the most expensive cards, you can get at least 30fps” sounded to me like “you are getting low FPS because your GPU is not powerful enough, go get the a more expensive one”. And as we speak, the gtx1080 is the most powerful one out there, so that sounded odd to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just saying that real time framerates with VXGI are available now, at least on the more expensive cards. Without testing, it’s not clear what range of GPU’s could do dynamic GI, which is why I just said the most expensive ones. When Epic had SVOGI in UE4 before release, they were using a single GTX 680, so it could be expected that there’s a bunch of cards that can use dynamic GI. The issue was back then that most people didn’t have a card that’s as powerful as the 680. We must be pretty close by now that it’s worth having a dynamic GI system for the majority of users that can use it.

I believe VXGI is already viable for games right now in some cases where we don’t need perfect lighting. CryEngine is already using voxel based tech as one of its GI solution: Voxel-Based Global Illumination - CRYENGINE 3 Manual - Documentation

The problem is that it’s still not enough for the kind of realism and precision we need in archviz most of the time. Even with all the VXGI parameters cranked up (which leads to painful performance even on the better GPUs out there) the quality is still far behind what we can get with lightmass… That SVOGI demo back in 2012 was impressive the way it was showed. But I bet it’s quality was even worse than what we can get with VXGI right now in archviz scenarios…

VXGI is out of the question for me for archviz and for portfolio images, not a single chance!
And I like to be able to record flicker-free 60 fps movies in high-res. You’ll never achieve that with VXGi. There is always a flicker or a shadow pop here and there.

The main problem in OP’s images is the ceiling. It’s unrealistically bright. There are no nuances in the lighting! That’s the main problem of vxgi, it’s not precise enough even when you crank everything up!

Agreed… I think the only scenario that I can possible consider VXGI as an option is if I really need to show some sort of real-time light changing. And that would be a secondary feature to increment the main presentation with lightmass.

Have you tried using movie recording from Matinee? It takes the time it needs to record the framerate, so you can get full framerate even if you turn up the VXGI settings high, I’m not sure if it’ll still have flickering though.

Nothing wrong with the 1080, it’s an amazing card. Try using less Dynamic lights if you haven’t already, and lower the poly count on the models as well as the texture resolution where you see fit, then it might run better. This user seemed to have pretty good results: geregistreerd via Argeweb

VXGI is very scalable but the baseline performance hit is still relatively big. The best quality it can produce will cripple your framerate no matter what type of hardware you throw at it. Even at this quality, it does in no way come close to lightmass for the expert eye.
It’s very interesting tech and, if you absolutely dread lightmass, it’s a nice alternative. Great fun for experiments and ‘soon’ TM’s. I’ve tested VXGI extensively on a number of platforms, driven by both a Titan and Titan-X. Faster GPU is better but the GPU which lets you run VXGI at top quality with acceptable frame rate has yet to be invented. If you can afford to go for ‘acceptable’ quality, 30 fps is doable when you don’t push your scene to anything fancy.

Maybe it’s the new P6000 with 24gb of ram haha!

You’re not going to get lightmass quality lighting with dynamic lighting–otherwise that would solve everyone’s problems!

Thanks for the reply everyone,
It’s true than i didn’t optimize at all my scene.
I corrected the floor who was too bright and i try some optimization. I’m now at 21-25fps at 1080p.
Why i had a very high setting in VXGI was because of the timelapse than i want to test. It’s the goal to use VXGI, the light can move, if it’s not just use lightmaps and we will have a way better result.
The major problem with VXGI is a flick and blob effect where we can feel the voxel cube of approximation.

Here is what i get :

https://i.gyazo.com/b3c8a44baae01763df7f9198b38de622.gif

https://i.gyazo.com/6a8a8733596ee93c29ad249d86661e89.gif

https://i.gyazo.com/96f3614f05dc242d4029702ae150a302.gif

https://i.gyazo.com/e954486442257852928aea2d3f7bcf15.gif

Have you also made sure to adjust the range of the VXGI so that it fits better to the room? That will improve quality since it would scale the voxels smaller.

It´s looking awesome!!! :smiley:
I’m a bit new on unreal and I’m trying to make an interior scene how did you made the curtain to affect the lightning, I´m trying to achieve that efefctm but I have no luck :frowning: it´s the sahder, the object…
I made a single sided object with a scatter opaque shader, the light goes trought but there is no real scattering :confused:

Thank you very much, keep going, that looks amazing!!! :smiley: