Installing UE4 on home computer from previous install...

Hey all,

So my home internet connection has a limited monthly bandwith, and I installed UE4 on my work computer. So I copied the Unreal folder in the Windows/program folder and the content folder from the documents folder, and pasted them into the respective folders on my home computer, hoping when I launched the UE4 launcher it would recognize the install files, and not need to redownload them all again. However, it doesn’t seem to and is trying to download all 10gb of data again.

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can make it use the already installed files, or if I need to delete them all and download everything again.

Thanks in advance!

I’m in the same situation. I installed and downloaded the Unreal Engine to a Surface Pro at work.

When I got home I performed the following steps to significantly reduce my required download:

1. Download and execute the Unreal Engine Installer on the target machine. Don’t log in; close it as soon as it runs.
  2. Copy the contents of %PROGRAMFILES%\Unreal Engine] to the equivalent location on the target machine.
  3. Copy the contents of %PROGRAMDATA%\Epic] to the equivalent location on the target machine.
  4. Copy the contents of %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Unreal Projects] to the equivalent location on the target machine.
  5. Execute the Unreal Engine Launcher on the target machine and log in.
  6. Hit the ‘Verify Install’ link below the ‘Launch’ button once the ‘Please Wait…’ step has completed.

I had to download some extra data (I think approx. 250MB) during the verify. The launcher notified me that it had backed up some locally edited files once it was complete, so I suspect there was some unwanted overwriting in this process, but the Unreal Editor appears to start just fine.
I haven’t had a chance to play around with it yet, so I can’t definitively say whether these steps worked. Creating a blank project appeared to work, however, I won’t be able to validate these steps until tomorrow.

Hope this helps,

Hey ,

Thanks for the reply. I am however, not finding the #3 directory, you’re referencing. ProgramData\Epic

Tried doing a search and just browsing to find it, but could not. Probably something simple I am missing??

Can you or someone tell me where this is located??

Thanks again!

Hi NinjaOwl,

The ProgramData is a hidden folder located at C:\ProgramData by default. You should be able to bring it up by entering %PROGRAMDATA% into the Windows Explorer Address Bar or any Run prompt regardless of whether it’s hidden.
For reference, I’m using Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64 machines.

Cheers,