Why am I having an issue when trying to download 4.4.1?

Started launcher this morning and says there is an update. Assumed it was 4.4.1. Then when it finished it says another update. When it finished 4.4.1 goes away. What is going on? I was doing some work while the second download was going on and it said 4.4.1. I am very confused.

Right now if you start the launcher with the optional Preview tag (-AppLabel=Production-4.4.1HotfixPreview) it will know 4.4.1 is the latest version and it will want to update to that version.

If you launch it without the optional Preview tag it will think 4.4.0 is the latest version and will want to keep that as the latest version. It does not assume 4.4.1 is better than 4.4.0 when it is in preview as I would assume to let you roll back if you need to.

So if you have 4.4.1 installed and run the launcher without the preview tag it will say “Update” but this will just roll you back to 4.4.0.

TLDR: Start the launcher with preview tag = you get 4.4.1. Start the launcher without the tag = you get 4.4.0
TLSDR: What your launcher says for version = what you have installed.

It also does not help there was a weird 4.4.0 update as well yesterday that did not seem to do much lol =)

Hi ,

Thank you for the feedback. We are aware of the issue and our developers are working to fix it now. MathewW’s solution is correct, below is a link to the official Epic post.

4.4.1 Hotfix Preview! - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums!

Thanks, TJ

I put the tag in and now I am doing another download. 1.4 gigs. Is this going to be the same as yesterday.

Hi ,

Did this fix work for you?

Yes, it worked. Monday and there is yet another update. Ridiculous. What is going on.

The last update is the 4.4.1 you downloaded. We have noticed an issue where the Launcher says that there is another update after this, but that is not true. If you click that update it will revert you back to 4.4.0. We are currently looking into it and hope to have it resolved soon.

We discovered a mistake that was made which caused the unnecessary “Update” button. Additional information is available on the forums:

Explaining the recent 4.4.0 Update - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

We apologize for the inconvenience.