HDRI import ERROR

There should be a bug with your HDR image importer ( I use 4.18, but this problem appeared in every prev. version )
Depend on source of HDR image ( software that made it ) it can be imported or not.
For example: images from https://hdrihaven.com/ cannot be imported because of asset creation error ( and some other hdr files from diffrent sources ). But if I resave this file by Luminance HDRI software again as a HDR then… voila! WORKS!.
Check the importing code please and add ability to use every 32bit image as CUBE_Map for scene light ( exr, tga, tiff ).

The error that importer throws is:
Error: Texture import failed
LogAssetTools: Warning: Failed to import ‘D:_Grafika_LIBRARY\HDR\HDRmaps_com\hdri_skies_11K_vol1_KUPIONE\sky11K_017-8k.hdr’. Failed to create asset ‘/Game/KOLEKCJE-WLASNE/-light-setup/HDR/sky11K_017-8k’.
Please see Output Log for details.

Sometimes HDRI can “blow up” the UE4 editor ending by Critical Exception (it was that in prev3).

I use Affinity PHOTO and unfortunatly resaving HDR file gives the same result.
Author from HRDI HAVEN claims that other software ( do not remember name ) had the same problem and developer fix it.
WHEN EPIC WILL FIX THIS ?

Thanks a lot !
Using 4.16, I had the same problem.
Resaving as hdr in Photoshop worked for me.

Same problem here, it looks like affinity does something funky when saving HDRIs. My workaround is to edit and do what I need in Affinity, save as HDRI, then use the free software “luminance HDR” to open the file, and save it again (don’t forget to set gamma to linear, and not 2.2 which is the default)

Not ideal, but hope it helps people having the same problem.

1 Like

My issue is that the folder I was pulling from was in an .alg_meta folder. It wouldn’t even load in Photoshop. Using a different version of the .exr (outside of that folder) was a working version).