[bug report]animation sequences can't add animation notifies

Unreal 4.18 mac version can not create new animation notify in animation sequences or anim montages. And I can’t position a notify to the second half of notify tracks. Thanks.

I created a similar issue: Can't add a new anim notify - Character & Animation - Epic Developer Community Forums

This still works in 4.16

Updated Solution:

1. Make sure that unreal is not the foremost window.
  2. Open another program, eg. Finder or something else.
  3. Resize the foremost window until you can see the notify tracks.
  4. Click the left mouse button and add new notify.

Old workarounds:

A. I found a weird work around to be able to get it to work. I downloaded Licecap to record the bug in a .gif and when recording I am able to add a notify now. It must have something to do with the screen focus of the screen recording.

It’s not pretty but it works

B. It also works with Quicktime 10 actually.
Open Quicktime 10.

1. Open Quicktime 10
  2. Start a screen recording
  3. right click on the notify timeline, add an anim notify
  4. The pupup box for the name will show
  5. Name your anim press enter
  6. Done, exit the screen recording

Tkanks. But it doesn’t seems to work. Please tell me the detailed steps. Thank you.

It also works with Quicktime 10 actually.
Open Quicktime 10.

1. Open Quicktime 10
  2. Start a screen recording
  3. right click on the notify timeline, add an anim notify
  4. The pupup box for the name will show
  5. Name your anim press enter
  6. Done, exit the screen recording

OMG! It works!!! Thank you very much!!

Oh! I found that there is no need for screen recording at all. Just make sure that unreal is not the foremost window. Just open the Finder or sth else. Resize the foremost window until you can see the notify tracks. And then just click the LMB(don’t click the RMB, it will make the window foremost). and add new notify. Hope engine staff will fix this bug. Sorry, my English is very bad. Hope not offend anyone. Hope my description is clear enough.

Can you speak Chinese?

Are you Chinese too?

I’m Chinese.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I’ll use finder instead next time, much easier.Your English is fine I understood it all!

Updated the answer with your work around thanks @wukakuki

Workaround doesn’t fix the issue with unable to drag the animation notify past halfway tough the UI. Haven’t been able to reproduce it on other Macs around the office besides mine, could this be related to the issue with HIDPI displays?

Are you running the editor on a retina display laptop? I’m suspecting that might be the case, 4.18 is all sorts of broken on HI DPI displays at the moment.

Not sure, I am able to drag to animation notify where I want. Sometimes various elements do get stuck but I am able to get out of it eventually.

I just confirmed with a virtual machine, it also happens on windows at very high resolutions like 4k. Lowering the resolution fixes the notify issue.