"Can't find file" of unexisting asset (package fail)

Packaging fails with log error “LogLinker:Warning: Can’t find file ‘/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1’”

This is probably some old asset path, because I don’t even have “Meshes”, “4plants” folders and “fernLeaf1” asset anymore. I’ve tried fixing up redirectors, but that didn’t helped.
How can I fix this?

I’ve attached the log file: [link text][1]

69317-cook-2015.12.04-18.41.54.txt (2.31 MB)

Seems like I still have this asset “fernLeaf1”, but now it’s named “leaf_Fern1” and it’s in completely different folder. I’ve opened it, re-saved it and this fixed the package error, but the error comes back after restarting editor/next build, so re-saving is only a temporary solution.
UE still has this old reference path somewhere, and it needs to be removed/changed to the current one, but I don’t know how to do it.

I would suggest making sure that the following are not referenced, renamed or moved within your new project:

[2015.12.04-17.34.26:431][  0]LogLinker:Warning: Can't find file '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1'
[2015.12.04-17.34.26:431][  0]LoadErrors: Info Failed to load /Game/Blueprinty/Istota/Postac.Postac_C Referenced by PlantLeafs
[2015.12.04-17.34.26:431][  0]LogUObjectGlobals:Warning: Failed to load '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1': Can't find file '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1'
[2015.12.04-17.34.26:431][  0]LogLinker: Can't find file '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1'

[2015.12.04-17.26.40:919][  0]LogLinker:Warning: Can't find file '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1'
[2015.12.04-17.26.40:920][  0]LoadErrors: Info Failed to load /Game/Blueprinty/Istota/Gracz.Gracz_C Referenced by PlantLeafs
[2015.12.04-17.26.40:920][  0]LogUObjectGlobals:Warning: Failed to load '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1': Can't find file '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1'
[2015.12.04-17.26.40:920][  0]LogLinker: Can't find file '/Game/Meshes/4plants/fernLeaf1'

If this does not help resolve your issue, could you please upload new from your project. Could you also try to import your project to a new, blank project and let me know if you run into the same issue?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thanks!

I’ve managed to fix this by creating the unexisting “Meshes/4plants” folder and bringing back the ‘leaf_Fern1’ asset to it. Then renaming it to “fernLeaf1” + recompiling referencing blueprints and finally renaming it back to “leaf_Fern1” + putting it back into current folder. Thank you for your assistance!

Thanks…your solution worked for me as well

Ended up here after having a file stop me in a similar manner. Started doing what you said then realised my problem was slightly different…

Turns out deleting the files Tube 1 and Tube 2 (invalid because of the space) from the outlined and the content browser wasn’t enough. I had to go into the folder they were previously in through the file explorer of windows to manually remove/delete them from the project, as they were still coming up in the event log as errors when packaging.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

this solution does not work for me because i have like 5000 assets i deleted. so please if there is any way u can help me get rid of all these lost references… Facebook to reach me. i want the files perminantly gone, and the references replaced with somehting. even a basic thing would be fine. 99% of the assets arent even going to be used in the final game.

Try going into the folder (im explorer) like I did Acovis.

Thanks!
You help me!

After I deleted the asset and I had message “Can’t find File for Asset”.

I resolved problem by following steps:

a) Restore deleted asset “myasset”.

b) Rename “myasset” to “myasset_”.

c) Delete “myasset_” in UE4.

d) Delete “myasset.uasset” and “myasset_.uasset” files from file system.

Thanks, this also worked for me using the latest 4.15 version. I didn’t have the original asset so I just made a blank Blueprint and named it the missing file name with an underscore attached. When I re-cooked it the warnings went away so it’s based just on the names themselves and nothing else.

After that I moved the new blank BP asset into another folder using UE4 content browser and saved all. I then tried deleting it but it gave me warnings saying that it was referencing a few assets I still had. Turns out it was a material that had the old file still marked under the Preview Mesh field in the detail settings for that material.

After I removed that old reference I was able to delete the blank BP that I created earlier and re-cook my project without any warnings.

half year late but if someone sees this here is what fixed it for me. go “edit->project settings->packaging->full rebuild” set that true, i didnt have to switch many items etc.

1 Like