Collision doesn't work without enabling Simulate Physics

Hi everyone. Currently I’m using UE4.8.2. via the regular Epic Games Loader (not the Git build as far as I’m aware).

The problem I’m having is that the actors have collisions that refuse to work unless I enable the Simulate Physics option.

The game I’m working on is a top-down shooter.

There are mainly 3 actors in the game.

1. The players ship.
  2. The bullets that the player can fire.
  3. The Asteroids that the player must shoot with the bullets.

The collision for the player ship seems to be working fine and have not discovered issues with that.

But the bullets won’t collide with anything unless I enable Simulate Physics on the object it collides on. If I enable the Physics on the bullet, then the ProjectileMovement stops working (which is explained in the documents).

This also counts for the Asteroid. It has the Character class due to the CharacterMovement so that it can move based on the AI’s Behavior Tree. The bullets will just ignore all the collision of the Asteroid unless I enable the Simulate Physics. (Then again, this will kill the CharacterMovement).
But when the Physics is disabled, I would expect to move it (due to the AI’s BT) but it wont. I’ve no clue why, everything is set proper and the BT is alive when I run the game.

The Asteroid collision settings

The Sphere_Collision (Asteroid)

http://corvusgamestudio.eu/screens/SC_Asteroid_sphereCollision.png

The StaticMesh_Collision (Asteroid)

http://corvusgamestudio.eu/screens/SC_Asteroid_staticmeshCollision.png

The Bullet collision settings

The Sphere_Collision (Bullet)

http://corvusgamestudio.eu/screens/SC_Bullet_sphereCollision.png

The StaticMesh_Collision (Bullet)

http://corvusgamestudio.eu/screens/SC_Bullet_staticmeshCollision.png

I’ve searched on the web for answers to this problem, but I’m really stuck with this. To make it worse, to continue with other parts of the game is pointless, since it’s based on the presence and destruction of the asteroids.

I hope someone can help me to set me in the right direction to find a solution to this problem.

Hi Singetsua,

Looking at what you posted above, I don’t see anything obviously wrong. If you would like to check your project against one that does work, compare it to the TwinStickShooter template. I just tested it and it has this functionality by default.

Or if you would like, private message me a link over the forums to download your project and I will look into it further. Another option would be to just post a test project here.

Hi TJ,

Thank you very much for your reply. I’ve taken the opportunity to send you a PM on the forum with my project included.

As I’m really stuck and cannot discover the issue (as far as I can tell it should work).

I hope you have the time to check it out, thanks in any case!

Okay, I’m kinda stumped. After making a few test adjustments to your blueprints (which didn’t fix anything) I decided to just recreate a new player and projectile blueprint. I still couldn’t get anything to collide correctly.

I’m wondering if something in your project may have become corrupted. If you say the issue started after changing the players mesh, try moving that player blueprint out of the project and recreate it.

If that still doesn’t work, I suggest creating a new project and migrating everything over to it except the player blueprint. I know that’s a lot of work but if it somehow corrupted your entire project, that maybe the only workaround.

So, after restarting the project and reimporting working stuff, I ended up with having the same problem.
Well, it appeared as the same problem.

I had set the CharacterMovement to “flying” (also with that option enabled that the Actor may fly), yet everything seemed to be stuck, collision not working, unless I enabled the Physics collision.

So I decided to move away from the flying and have them walking instead. And it worked.
Appearently flying bugs it out.

To make the actors appear to be flying, I just added a floor plane with no visibility rendering.

Everything is working now and I got a lot further in 1 go:

Thanks for the help and advises! <3