Online Splitscreen

Hey I am currenlty trying to create an Online Splitscreen multiplayer but I am having some problems with it.
The person who creates the Session has no Problem creating a “new Player” which is basicly a fake pawn with just a Camera which gets modified via the network with the camera positions of the opponent.

The Event only get fired on the Server so just the one who created the Server gets the Splitscreen with the Camera of the opponent. This works perfectly fine.
The Only Problem is when I try to do it on the connected Client.

It creates a Splitscreen for the Client with a Camera and all, but it always goes to “Is Not Valid”, so I can’t do anything with it no matter what I try. Its always none. I am a little bit out of ideas how I can fix this or work around it, or if there might be anything C++ related I could just paste in or slightly modify.

Or if I have to go about it another way, but It is very important for me that I replicate the Camera movement and Rotation exactly for my game to work.

UPDATE: There are mutliple problems with this.

1. The Create Player is never Valid. Which I think mostly happends because for some reason requests are send to the Server and will not get answerd in time or something. WHY is there no Create Local Player function which doen’t need this?

2. Possess function has to be called on the server? That doesn’t make any sense especially if Unposses doesn’t need the server. Again, there is no local option available.

You are making it extremly hard to create Online Splitscreen, if not impossible.
I REALLY would like to see any answer and not nothing at all, since this is hindering current development immensly.

I have a somewhat working Setup. Which creates Splitscreen for both Server (which already worked) and Client looks like this:

The delay is neccessary since otherwise both the create player return AND Player Controller with index 1 is not Valid. Then using Player Controller 1 sending it to the Server and possesing it there with the controller.
This WORKS now in engine. But when I compole and use Steam I am back where I started! In Steam the clients splitscreen will NOT possess anything ever. This ist just annoying.

Please for god sake I need your help. And especially LOCAL Create Player and LOCAL Possess functions that doesn’t rely on ANY Server, would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for being a bit aggressive, but I am just annoyed as hell. No answers here and no real progress so far.

Hey. I would really like to know how to Set this up. Epic could you help out with This Problem? Would be very nice :slight_smile:

UPDATE: There are mutliple problems with this.

1. The Create Player is never Valid. Which I think mostly happends because for some reason requests are send to the Server and will not get answerd in time or something. WHY is there no Create Local Player function which doen’t need this?

2. Possess function has to be called on the server? That doesn’t make any sense especially if Unposses doesn’t need the server. Again, there is no local option available.

You are making it extremly hard to create Online Splitscreen, if not impossible.
I REALLY would like to see any answer and not nothing at all, since this is hindering current development immensly.

I have a somewhat working Setup. Which creates Splitscreen for both Server (which already worked) and Client looks like this:

The delay is neccessary since otherwise both the create player return AND Player Controller with index 1 is not Valid. Then using Player Controller 1 sending it to the Server and possesing it there with the controller.
This WORKS now in engine. But when I compole and use Steam I am back where I started! In Steam the clients splitscreen will NOT possess anything ever. This ist just annoying.

Please for god sake I need your help. And especially LOCAL Create Player and LOCAL Possess functions that doesn’t rely on ANY Server, would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for being a bit aggressive, but I am just annoyed as hell. No answers here and no real progress so far.

Hey Epic, we tried so much, but its still buggy :frowning:
Sorry for disturbing, but its very important for our game.

Please help out with that or make a Online Splitscreen Update in 4.9!

Thank you!

Allright Guys, we removed the Online Splitscreen feature from our list because we didnt get any help with that :frowning:

Hey Epic!
Maybe this Week you have an Idea how to get the Onlin Splitscreen to work?

I would like to know as well. Have you figured it out yet?

I thought of a hack, haven’t tested- the idea is you use dynamically changing HUDS as screens. The HUDS then can be assigned to screen space dynamically. The HUDS uses a material takes screen captures from a camera. The camera is attached to a pawn. The pawn is assigned to the controller. For networking, you simply use variables dedicated to a player’s controller.

Hey

Came across this post when trying to see if it were possible to easily setup online splitscreen as I’ve seen Rocket League (built in UE4) with the functionality.

Just wanted to inform anyone that is put off or thinks it’s not possible: it is absolutely possible, just make sure you enable splitscreen in the project settings, use the create player node and possess the return. Simple.

Does it work if you make sure only the server tries to create players? (client could trigger it to by a Run On Server RPC event)