Strange Editor Behavior with 4.8

Hello, first off i want to thank you guys so much for 4.8 and your decision to give UE4 for free!
I noticed strange editor behavior i can not explain myself (its only for my project)

1. Sometimes after playing Game in Editor “Play” editors mouse cursor get hidden after pressing stop, this can get fixed by making any level change (dropping a primitive or something into world) and click on big X on top right to close UE4, due to map change it asks to save changes. After that mouse cursor is visible again.
  2. I can successfully create a session, but its impossible to join a session by blueprint, after joining found session, editor simply stops game as if pressed “Stop”

Can you help me with that?
Im using 4.81 binary version

I converted an old project, i guess 4.2 or 4.3 to 4.8 which didn’t seem to make any problem, but it’s only reason i would guess

Thank you guys and best wishes!

Hi ,

I’ve assigned someone to look into issue with mouse for you. Could you please create a second AnswerHub post for issue you’re experiencing with creating and joining a session? In that post, please refer to project you’re using that displays problem, and as many details about method of creating and joining a session as you can. Thanks!

thank you very much

Hey ,

I understand that you’ve updated your project from quite an old version of engine. Have you been able to replicate this with a new template from 4.8.2?

I have attempted to replicate this in 4.8.2 and was unsuccessful in doing so. I created a 4.4.3 project which I converted to 4.8.2 and I did not experience what you had described, nor did I experience it while simply creating a copy from 4.4.3 to 4.8.2.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thanks!

well i started this project in 4.1 or 4.2 i will try to start from a new blank project but can you tell me if it is possible to migrate bad stuff by migrating characters and blueprints?
its interesting i found a topic on answerhub where othere people had same problems and all project where old converted ones. unfortunately i forgot to subscribe it and i lost it

i guess i know reason for point 1 (mouse cursor in editor gets hidden after pressing stop)
i guess reason was that i compiled with debug editor build configuration selected and somewhere in code when playercontroller switches to menu, it changes visibility.
exact reason is actually not accessable for me… it’s not important anymore since i fixed it by deleting those binary dll’s

but point 2 is a big problem as our game is a multiplayer game and we want it on steam this christmas.
i know that there seem to be a bug when starting a PIE Session with 2 Players and hosting a new session on client.
But biggest mystery for myself is that behavior changes after packaging… even when i am able to join a multiplayer session in a PIE Environment, nothing happens in a packaged version of project by pressing same button (Host or Join no matter).
Im also not able to find those sessions i would have found in PIE.
Then i read that using spacewar AppID would limit finding servers only to that appID but even with using console commands “open Mapname?listen” and “open 127.0.0.1” don’t work in packaged project.
im pretty sure to have all dependencies of shooter template and some more included…

any quick solution would be really great as we really need to test multiplayer gameplay in a packaged environment

is it possible to get a more discrete way to communicate with you guys from epic for game related solutions?

and i don’t want to miss out to thank you guys for beeing smart and helpful… most other companies lack on bad support and most of them don’t even read topics carefully enough which takes much more time for getting solution… i <3 you!
After 2 years i can surely tell UE is my new home… working with it is such a pleasure… making my gaming life so much better… just got my hands on oculus and leap motion… stunning how easy it was to setup with UE4 and its so amazing…

ok after starting from scratch, migrating and rebuilding whole thing,

problem 1) is back and my guessed reason seem to be wrong
problem 2) is gone and seem to work

this is really funny :slight_smile:

Hey ,

Since you’ve restarted your project, would you mind telling me which template you began working with and whether or not you’ve been able to replicate issue 1 in any other of our projects, or even a blank one? Did you change anything with project settings, or controls? If so, please provide me with screenshots of their setup so I can try to replicate this within my project.

I appreciate your assistance, thank you! :slight_smile:

Hello , i began a clean project and no i first noticed issue 1 on this project which has been converted from 4.2 or earlier
What do you mean with change anything in project settings or controls?
After copying code to a new blank project in 4.81 i suddenly get this compile error

maybe this helps
and thank you very much for your support… really appreciated

Hey!

What I meant by whether or not if you changed any of settings within project settings or controls of your project is whether or not you made any changes at all to project that would cause an issue. Did you go into Project Settings and actually change any of default settings?

Also, looking over link provided, it looks as though this specific crash, if identical, should be able to be corrected by replacing GENERATED_UINTERFACE_BODY with GENERATED_BODY. FTC from post linked noticed that after correcting his macros, everything started working correctly again.

Do you have any macros in your project that may be causing any issues? Since you copied your code into a new blank project, you may have copied some incorrect or corrupted code over. Please look over your code and make sure it’s all correct, and if you’re using any macros look at answer provided in the [link you gave me][1].

Thank you!

4.7 p8 - UHT fails with error code: -1073741819 - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

hello ,
thank you for your help!
you can close this topic, i played with code and got it working so your solution, creating project from a new template was correct, but i was not able to find error or reason which caused build error… so im sure there is still a bug described in thread i sent you…

best wishes