SSAO wave wobbling glitch

The SSAO is now doing this strange wave effect when changing distance:

http://i.imgur.com/Lo1zM7j.gif

I just made the SSAO really high here to make it clearly visible.

Hi Davision -

I am not seeing any difference in my AO between 4.7.6 and 4.8. Can you take a look at the attached sample project and make sure that I am setting up the test as close to your’s as possible.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Test Project 4.8

It is hard to see in your scene because the light is directional strong and the shapes mostly rounded. I changed that here with a default skylight:

http://i.imgur.com/qZ8Slh0.gif

So just delete your directional light and replace it with a skylight and use cubes. You can then also increase the intensity or power of the SSAO to make it more clear.

Hi Davision -

Can you look at your Engine Scalability Settings and make sure that you are in EPIC on all aspects. The only way I could reproduce this issue internally from your specifications above was by lowering my Engine Scalability Settings on Texture and AA to Low.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

All settings are set to Epic. With those settings set to low it seems to be a bit more:

http://i.imgur.com/MfXl8LC.gif

Could it be possible that it is related to my particular graphics card? I have a GTX 680

Hi -

After some additional testing I finally got a successful reproduction and it looks to be fixed in our current Master Branch of the engine. The fix will be available in a future release of the engine.

Thank You for your patience -

Eric Ketchum

The bug is still in 4.8.1, even without changing distance it glitches:

Also, this SSAO glitch might be related: SSAO messes with normal maps - Programming & Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums

It is still in 4.12!

108524-grtzrtzfghif.gif

Even worse with low radius:

108525-gifertegdfg.gif

I think SSAO really needs to looked into. It worked great in 4.6 or so. Now there is also the issue that only appears in very dark areas, as soon as there is a bit of light hitting a surface it is masked out. While on the other hand emissive gets masked out really badly and you get a dotted dirt looking effect on there. The problem with the heavy masking out by lighting is that when you have a floor lit and the connected wall dark lit you get only AO on the wall, heavy AO that will look like dirt because it doesn’t look like AO anymore with the floor having no AO at all. I could do with a option that just turns off AO masking by lighting. I used SSAO as the only shadowing in Where Is My Hammer with a really old UE4 version and it worked out nicely.

Also, even with a low Radius close surfaces create SSAO on the surfaces far away. It says in the description that it would not. It is also odd that radius and depth bias are not two different things. Radius should change the radius of how thick or small the dark areas are while depth bias should mask it the more distance is in between the surfaces.

Hey Davision,

Could you provide me with a screenshot of the Ambient Occlusion settings within your Post Process Volume?

I am not seeing the same thing on my end so I would like to reduce user to user error by matching the exact setup you are showing.

Thank you,