Crash in 4.8

a few of the guys in the office are crashing with GeForce GTX 550Ti… not sure what the issue is.

link text

thought i’d send this too… might help with figuring this out.

Hey Shippy,

Pasting the machineID here so it’s easy to find the crash again: 4DC286984D038740C0525B947A1D0E6F

Is this crash occurring on launch or after using the editor for a little while?

As the 550Ti is on the lower end of what we’ve found to perform well, I’m going to suggest an adjustment to the Engine Scalability settings. Those are found under the Settings dropdown in the toolbar above the viewport. Let me know if that helps with the frequency of crashes.

the crash happens immediately after i hit the launch button for 4.8.0… so, i’m not able to load at all. crashes at 0%.

4.7.6 launches fine and i’m able to save projects etc.

also, thought that i would add that i tryed a 780Ti and it still crashed at 0%. so, we can probably rule out a video card issue. are there some files that could be left behind that may be corrupt somewhere on my system, or possibly some files just not being placed properly at install? just frustrated because everything was working fine before 4.8. hopin you guys can figure it out. thanks for looking into this. -shippy

In the same office as Shippy. Also getting the crash. 4.7 worked without issue. After 4.8 hit, crashing as soon as the engine starts to launch.

MachineId:43FF9C5A497CB9F6ABCE20951817181D
EpicAccountId:87a9b62ba2314de0a417b0071430888d

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

“”

dlumd64
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
d3d11
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!SafeTestD3D11CreateDevice() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\windows\windowsd3d11device.cpp:157]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHIModule::FindAdapter() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\windows\windowsd3d11device.cpp:263]
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHIModule::IsSupported() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\windows\d3d11rhi\private\windows\windowsd3d11device.cpp:188]
UE4Editor_RHI!PlatformCreateDynamicRHI() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\windows\windowsdynamicrhi.cpp:40]
UE4Editor_RHI!RHIInit() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\rhi\private\dynamicrhi.cpp:49]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::PreInit() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1318]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:110]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.8\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]

Tried restarting, updating geForce drivers (using 550ti). Some of us have 2 builds of UE4 on our machines. 1 - downloaded from the website and installed with the launcher, another built and installed from our engineering team via perforce. Neither have worked since switching to 4.8, this is a pretty serious issue for us. Any help is appreciated.

link textDxDiag is also attached - when running it I did received the “dxdiag has detected that there might have been a problem accessing Direct3D the last time this program was used”. The error also tends to spit out a bunch of d3d11 issues so I’m assuming its something to do with that. Ive tried installing dirextX newest version.

I’ve entered a bug report as UE-17513. I’ve also got an email out to one of our Rendering engineers as the crash is related to DX11.

Got a response right after submitting that answer. Can you guys try running UE4Editor.exe from CMD and use the command line argument -d3ddebug.

Send me the log that it dumps to *C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\4.8\Saved\Logs*

Hey , thanks for the quick replies, this is a huge blocker for us currently. One of our engineers had me try an -opengl at the end of the shortcut. I did not get an instant crash, I got to about 95% before crashing with that tag.

I hav removed all of my normal installs from my workstation so I could eliminate that as the culprit. Im reinstalling a fresh 4.8 from the epic launcher now so that I can run the d3ddebug, since our version of 4.8 doesn’t seem to give any info in the crash report window (says “You do not have any debugging symbols required to display the callstack for this crash.”) and the d3ddebug log doesnt appear to be there either. I’ll run it again when I have a normal install to work with.

link text

Let me know if thats the log you need. I don’t see a specific d3d log.

… i uninstalled my official launcher, however i can re-install and update if you would like a debug report from me as well. but, my computer is doing exactly the same thing as john’s.

Hello guys, the crash dumps show that it’s crashing inside dlumd64.dll, which is according to the internet, a DisplayLink Driver… Not sure what hardware or software is attached or installed on your machines, can you try uninstalling or disabling it? Or try updating it? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-explorer-error-we-has-stopped/ce5030fa-0c67-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

retracted - seems like the updating helped something. Waiting for shaders to build I think. At least the editor loaded though.

Out of curiosity, what is the hardware/software you have installed?

Honestly we dont even know, or use it. I think its just some bloatware type stuff that came on the workstations. Havent had issues until now. Not really sure what the issue is. Shaders are building we are at 95%, just about to pop into the editor I hope! :slight_smile:

updated displaylink drivers… game is loading properly now. thanks so much. your a savior RCaloca:)

Just wanted to update that I’ve added DisplayLink Drivers to our Known Software Conflicts list. Thanks for reporting this and I’m glad you’re back up and running.

thanks again!