Unable to Package for Android, No resource found that matches the given name

Our project is currently using 4.7.6, but as it is a Mobile-targeted title I would like to update to 4.8 as soon as possible for the various fixes and optimizations.

Using Preview 4 caused some packaging error and it was recommended to me that I try building the GitHub version as a work around.

With GitHub version (I think CL 2571485, but I am unsure how to express correct revision numbers with Git) When I go to package for Android I get this error:

MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): UnrealBuildTool:      [aapt] E:\Project_4_8\Intermediate\Android\APK\res\layout\downloader_progress.xml:92: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'text' with value '@string/text_button_pause').
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): UnrealBuildTool:      [aapt] E:\Project_4_8\Intermediate\Android\APK\res\layout\downloader_progress.xml:106: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'text' with value '@string/text_button_cancel').
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): UnrealBuildTool:      [aapt] E:\Project_4_8\Intermediate\Android\APK\res\layout\downloader_progress.xml:132: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'text' with value '@string/text_paused_cellular').
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): UnrealBuildTool:      [aapt] E:\Project_4_8\Intermediate\Android\APK\res\layout\downloader_progress.xml:139: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'text' with value '@string/text_paused_cellular_2').
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): UnrealBuildTool:      [aapt] E:\Project_4_8\Intermediate\Android\APK\res\layout\downloader_progress.xml:152: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'text' with value '@string/text_button_resume_cellular').
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Android (ETC1)): UnrealBuildTool:      [aapt] E:\Project_4_8\Intermediate\Android\APK\res\layout\downloader_progress.xml:160: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'text' with value '@string/text_button_wifi_settings').

Full Build Log

Putting strings into the intermediate folder does not seem to help as those files are regenerated upon building.
The project compiles/packages fine on 4.7.6 and I have the Online SubSystem set up in the inis and build.cs files

DefaultEngine.ini

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=GooglePlay
;DefaultPlatformService=Null
;DefaultPlatformService=Steam
;DefaultPlatformService=IOS

[OnlineSubsystemGooglePlay.store]
IsAllowedToMakePurchases=True
bSupportsInAppPurchasing=True

Build.cs

if (Target.Platform == UnrealTargetPlatform.Android)
{
	PrivateDependencyModuleNames.Add("OnlineSubsystem");
	PrivateDependencyModuleNames.Add("OnlineSubsystemGooglePlay");
	//DynamicallyLoadedModuleNames.Add("OnlineSubsystemGooglePlay");
	//PrivateDependencyModuleNames.Add("AndroidAdvertising");
}

I am aware of a similar problem had by a poster on the forums, but the poster was asked to make a bug report here and as far as I am aware they have not done so.

Hi Thrakhath,

I don’t think this is the entirety of what you’ve got going on here, but you will want to set your SDK API level to ‘android-19’. Meanwhile I will dig around more about the ‘No resource found that matches the given name’ error, which is not a known issue.

Thanks!

Hi Thrakhath,

Here is some more info from the Android dev:

I think he may have a strings.xml in
his
E:\Project_4_8\Build\Android\res\values.
If he does, it overrides the one
required by 4.8. Deleting it should
fix this if so.

Can you give this a shot and see if that helps?

Thank you, this fixed my bug.

As a bit of an explaination for the curious: I needed this file as a work-around for setting the app display name, when installed, to be something other than the ProjectName. The display name is now part of the project settings in 4.8 and it is no longer required for this particular work-around.