4.61 converting to 4.7.6 - Externally Referenced packages

Hi Guys,

I successfully converted, PIEed, and launched a 4.4 project to both 4.5.1 and 4.6.1. There is one map check error -
World info _0 Maps need lighting rebuilt
This doesn’t make sense as I’ve just hit run build all.

When I clone the project, convert in place to 4.7.6, and build all, it PIEs, but throws a warning when I try to save:
“This map is using externally referenced packages which won’t be found when in a game and all references will be broken. Perform a map check for more details. Would you like to continue?” I save all, and unfortunatly the game crashes on Launch. Here is the Log file:

I Would really like to run 4.7 as I want to go to 4.8!
Your help is appreciated,

Hey ,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick quesitons:

1. What platform are you trying to launch for?
  2. If not windows, could you provide the exact device and operating system?
  3. What is the exact version of 4.7.6 version of the engine are you using (In the editor go to Help > About Unreal Editor and the number should look something like this: Version: 4.7.6-2513093)?
  4. Can you reproduce this issue in clean project?
  5. If so, could you provide a detailed set of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?

I’m launching on PC using windows Ultimate 7 sp1
Yes I’m on UE 4.7.6-2513093

Yes the extrenally referenced package error will occur on a clean project - but it won’t crash the launcher.

Steps to repro:
On a non boot, partioned hard drive
clone a 4.6.1 project- (1st Person, max quality, with starter content) Rename TestProject47
Launch UE 4.7.6 and open TestProject47 - convert in place.
Build all and notice all the cube meshes have the external reference error in the Map. This will not crash the launcher however. I wish I could say the same for my game!

thanks,

Hello

I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end.

Steps taken:

1. Created new First person Project (with and without starter content)
  2. Saved the project
  3. Opened up the Project in 4.7.6 version of the engine
  4. Converted in place
  5. Clicked the build button

Quick questions:

1. Did I miss and steps/ was there anything that you did differently?
  2. You said that you were getting a crash, could you provide the crash logs?
  3. Could you provide your dxdiag?

Sorry, yes an additional steps.
Clone an exiting 4.6.1 Project. Rename this cloned project something completely new. After you convert in place the project in in 4.7.6 you build all, saveall. PIE, then launch.

Also did you do this on a 2ndary hard drive?
crash log is in the 1st message I sent yes?
I’m unfamiliar with dxdiag…

thanks a bundle

Hello ,

You were correct, I was able to reproduce this issue after I cloned the project and then converted it. I have written up a report ( UE-15514) and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

Hi Rudy - where does that leave me? I have a project I’ve been working on for several years. I already went through a lengthy conversion of most of my assets from UDK (still in progress). I was an initial subscriber of UE4 and worked with it through 4.4. I took a year off to travel and am now working full time on this. Using the process outlined above (a week ago) the project has been updated to 4.6.1. I would like to apply for a Epic subsidy. I would also like to develop this for VR which would require UE4.8
I really reallly really would appreciate a solution /workaround to my issue.

thanks

PS - I like your “make a great day”

Hello ,

I see that you have a few concers listed out in your last post. Let’s break this down into bite-sized chunks

The break down:

• What does this mean for you?

The report means that the developers are going to take a look at the conversion process from 4.6.1 to 4.7.6 and see if they can eliminate the errors that were shown in the issue that you have reported.

• A possible workaround?

I found that I do not receive the errors that were mentioned if I do not clone the project and I instead use the “Open a Copy button”. In order to bring up the prompt shown in the image below you will need to launch the 4.7.6 version of the engine, click the browse button in the bottom right of the Unreal Project Browser, and navigate to the original version of your project (not a clone). I would not suggest converting in place ever. This can cause many issues. Instead of cloning the project and converting it in place you can simply click the “Open a copy” button that is shown below. This button will create a copy of the selected project for the version of the engine that is being used (in this case the 4.7.6 version). Let me know if your issues still occurs after this suggestion.

42572-openacopyhelp.png

"Email unrealdevgrants@epicgames.com and tell us about your project. Send videos, links, and any other info you think will help us see why you and your project are awesome.

Remember, design concepts and ideas are still too early, and working prototypes are best. Your project must already work in or for UE4."

• Developing for VR

Depending on what platform you are using for VR you may not need to upgrade to 4.8. The Oculus rift for example works on 4.6.1 and 4.7.6

I hope this information helps.

Make it a great day

Thank you Rudy!!
I opened a copy and built (plays!) but the launcher button is greyed out.
I read the 4.7 release notes and found it’s upgraded but there doesn’t seem to be a way to learn how to use it for a bonehead such as myself.
Why is the documentation so sparse!

Hello ,

The launcher button being grayed out sounds like a different enough issue that I would like you to create a new thread for tracking purposes. You can then post a link to the new thread in a reply to this issue and I will be more than happy to assist you further. Also could you post a screen shot of the issue (the grayed out button) in the new thread that is created.

Hi ,

projects created in 4.6 saved Content paths in config files as absolute paths instead of relative. This made the copy of your project look for its own content in original directory instead of the copied one. This got fixed in 4.7, where paths are saved as relative, so the problem shouldn’t happen any more.

If you have any more 4.6 projects you’d like to copy and convert in place, make sure to delete /Saved directory. This will force engine to regenerate config files with proper content paths.

Cheers,
Mikolaj

This fixed my issue with a 4.10.2 version as well.

did this get un-fixed? because i just upgraded my project from 4.10 to 4.11 and i have 73 errors about external referenced assets and i cannot build and run

I’m having the same issue when upgrading a project from 4.10 to 4.11. I’ve used the “Open a copy” option.

Hello hiperbou,

If you have used the “Open a Copy” option that would mean that you are most likely experiencing a different issue. That being the case I will need you to create a new thread with additional information about your issue. After you do this you can place a link in a reply here and I will assist you further. I have also included a few questions that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing that you can answer in the new thread.

Questions for new thread:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Have you tried deleting your saved, intermediate, and config files (use a copy for this test so as not to lose backup files) before upgrading to the next version of the engine?
  4. Do you have multiple copies of the same project open at the same time when this issue occurs?

Deleting my “saved” folder before upgrading fixed it.
Thanks!

Anyway, you can reproduce it by creating a new project with the Third Person Template with 4.10.4, closing it, and open with the “Open a copy” option with 4.11.0.

I am happy to hear that your issue has been resolved. Thank you for the additional information. I will be closing this thread. If your issue returns please feel free to reopen this thread with any additional information.